Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

2015 Explorer Sport - Hot air but not to my feet

I too am finding the "down setting" on heat does not put out ANY heat. Was hoping there was a known problem with a known solution.
  2. W

Front turbo oil leak

According to this video, the gaskets around the spinning turbo are unlikely source of issues. Centripetal force is used to fling oil before it gets out. Perhaps one of these issues: dirty air filter (creating back pressure on the oil draining) kinked oil drain from the turbo backpressure from...
  3. W

Front turbo oil leak

Can I get an update? I think I have the same issue. Was it possible to pull these nuts off, and replace a gasket? Easy job, or something for the stealership?
  4. W

3.5L EcoBoost Turbo Oil Leak

Could someone please post a picture of what this looks like? I think I have the same problem I have a 2016 3.5 turbo. The leak is only noticeable due to burning smell after long trips (I think it splashes on the transmission). The volume of oil is not enough to leave anything on my driveway...
  5. W

Lunging during acceleration

Another thread on "turbo lag" suggests running 93 octane. Maybe try that and post your results. I am considering, but not much WOT driving on my part these days ;)
  6. W

Found this plug under passenger carpet

I think it might be the plug for the footwell drain. Mine are black. You can look under the car where front passenger's feet go, for a hole that allows water to drain out.
  7. W

Water Leak

If you have the moonroof / sunroof, confirm that the drains are not clogged.
  8. W

Water Leak

The sunroof/moonroof drains, toward front of my explorer was clogged, and car was parked at angle in big rain and this is what I woke up to! I learned there is a drain plug underneath the rear seat foot pan that makes draining this simple (I didn't realize until mostly drained manually).
  9. W

Explorer Sport Power Transfer Unit (PTU)

In newer models they have an air inlet to direct air against it to keep the oil from cooking. Also newer models have drain plug. Is it too late to change the oil?
  10. W

Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning

I don't know that code, but recommend confirming it isnt one of the connectors under rear bench, as that seems to be most common one. The clip is easy to open and close, and just having seat folded up can change the results. Unclip the wires under seat, blow on them, say a few prayers, vacuum...
  11. W

Rattling noise from rear bench leather

I double checked mine this evening, and only tape I had on mine still was on the floor mounts, and they seem to do the job. I think the vibration starts here, and goes up through metal on carseat hooks to leather.
  12. W

I have fixed mine in 2 places, and seems to have solved it: put electrical tape on the metal hook that catches the seat on the floor when flipped down (this reduces overall vibration) put electrical tape over the childseat hook behind the seat cushion (this reduces rubbing on the crease). I...
  13. W

How often to startup vehicle now that working from home?

Not an expert, but these are the things you should be considering when leaving a car to sit for long periods of time: battery - lead acid batteries age best when they are stored at top voltage "engine parts" - oil will settle in bottom of pan, and when sits for long time, stuff starts to "rust"...
  14. W

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Yes, it is always the second row for me. I have the bench, and find that either/both sides have wire and connector near the pivot at the front of the seat. It is tricky to get the connector to open up, so usually just wiggle the wires a little bit, and it does the trick for me.
  15. W

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

There are few possible sources of the airbag light. Doing the scan is always best to figure out where it is coming from. If scan isn't easily available, there are few quick diagnosis items you can try: flip up and down the rear seats. Does the light go on/off while they are in up position...
  16. W

PTU service question

To me, the contributing factors to deciding to do this or not are: Is it something you can do yourself? If not, dealership might charge as much as $400 for the service, so consider not doing, and putting that money toward "insurance" if PTU does quit. How long will you own the car? the...
  17. W

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

I used the hose to fill, and then just zip tied it to something sturdy for next change (50k miles). Indeed, put the cap back on it.
  18. W

I do not recall seeing evidence of water cooling. I'll look more closely next time.
  19. W

I replaced mine this week as well, on 2016 sport. My model has a vent scoop just under the bumper pushing air up against it. I pulled out 300ml of oil, so am bit unsure how much to put back in, but will go for 3/4 of a quart. It smelled plenty acrid, but at 50k miles was about as black as I'd...
  20. W

Lunging during acceleration

Mine occasionally stalls when I try to go from about 5 to 30 quickly. I have a hard time recreating it. I confirmed that it isnt the issue with loose intake tube.
  21. W

2011 Windshield Buzzing Noise

I found that I could just fold the rubber at the windshield up under itself and the extra tension from pinching the rubber between the windshield and the cowling is enough to keep it firmly seated against the windshield and no longer buzzing.
  22. W

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I have found that mine is dependent upon the air temperature. There was no buzzing in winter months, but as air density changed, resonant frequency of the loose rubber was found. Interested to know if anyone has glued their rubber to windshield or something more permanent on their own? If the...
  23. W

2011 Windshield Buzzing Noise

I've narrowed down a similar problem to the cowling between hood and windshield. My "field fix" was to run masking tape along it. I've not yet come up with something more permanent. Whistle or Buzz-type Noise from Front Cowl Panel Grille Cover - 2011-2016 Ford Explorer
  24. W

I discovered the same thing. Those 2 "U" metal brackets on the seat cushion vibrate against the leather on the back cushion. I corrected my issue by covering the metal with electrical tape. Grease was a smart way to test, but is it a permanent fix?
Back