Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Odd vibration

A common problem with these trucks is torque converter shudder around 35-50mph. It is often described as feeling like driving over a rumble strip.
  2. R

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

The rental car sound does not betray the rental car quality. The 2.3 isn't overly loud in my opinion. That isn't to say its smooth, refined, or pleasing to hear. However at times you can barely hear it over the transmission whining and clunking!
  3. R

Yeah...what an awesome sophisticated machine that requires planning and executing your driving around the numerous lags and quirks in the drivetrain. I can see how you would like the 4 cylinder. It's powerful, quiet, and efficient. What it can't accomplish yet is the refinement that many people...
  4. R

Check engine and Wrench lights on

Get forscan and an ELM usb dongle for your laptop, it will pay you bigtime!
  5. R

2016 Explorer Interceptor engine video...Opinions on the noise, please?

I would not go throwing parts at this car because of this minor noise. That is just begging to create an actual problem.
  6. R

Yeah it's hard to tell from a video anyway. Definitely nothing too obvious going bad. If the noise is from the injectors, there is definitely at least one that is distinctly louder than the rest. You could listen to each injector with a stethoscope or screwdriver and see if you can identify the...
  7. R

I'm assuming you have the 3.0 in your platinum. Those seem to have less issues. There are hoards of 2.3 Explorers with failed or poorly performing units. It seemed like a lot of botched early 2020 XLTs ended up at the rental company I worked for. Quickly, they were coming off of rent(sometimes...
  8. R

Vibrating, binding type sound when turning hard, intermintant.

I was unsure if '98 would have a computer control module for the AWD system, thank you for correcting me. @GT2000 listen to this guy.
  9. R

Transmission trouble

I would not throw parts at a transmission with 260k on it. If the fluid is burnt then so are the clutches. Time for a rebuild.
  10. R

Vibrating, binding type sound when turning hard, intermintant.

Could be AWD or front diff acting up. Try pulling AWD fuse and see if its any different?
  11. R

2010 Explorer Exhaust

I was faced with this same dilemma on my V8 mountaineer. The factory exhaust on it was total junk, literally the entire system from the manifolds to the tailpipe. Magnaflow Y pipe with cats was very high quality, but the AP muffler I bought was a piece of ****. Factory exhaust note on the 3v...
  12. R

One idea is to remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for just long enough to see if the sound is still present. Easy way to localize the noise to the accessories or engine.
  13. R

Dual climate control issue

I had this same issue and code in the HVAC module in my '07 Premier. Interesting to see that it is purportedly caused by the actuator. My Mountaineer had mice in it, I figured they had damaged some wiring and caused this problem. I sold it without disclosing this issue.
  14. R

Have these issues been mitigated at all, now that we are nearing 2 years into the lifecycle of this model? The early build 2020s were awful, surely the 21s coming off of the assembly line now are better.
  15. R

There's a chance you have a code stored pertinent to the noise, but I think that is unlikely. Usually engine noises are diagnosed by hunting around with a stethoscope or screwdriver, or removing parts.
  16. R

08 Ltd 4.6 - Replace just front muffler or front muffler all the way back?

I did replace the factory muffler with the AP. It sounded mostly the same but the AP muffler was of poor construction. The pipe used on the inlet was smaller diameter than on the factory muffler, and it wasn't mandrel bent. The AP looked cheap and restrictive. Shortly after installing the AP...
  17. R

I've only driven 1 ST briefly and will agree that powertrain performs much better than the base model. I know there are many people who are perfectly satisfied with their 10r, but the failure rate is not up to the standard of a modern vehicle IMO. Ford rushed it to market. The trans has a...
  18. R

This transmission just sucks. One of the worst currently on the new car market IMO. Poor durability and performance across the board in Explorer, Mustang, F150, Expedition. Impressive how its such a dumpster fire in Fords, but perfectly fine in GM vehicles. If you want to feel a properly tuned...
  19. R

Another 2020 2.3 Explorer with a transmission leak . No movement at all. Towed to the dealer. The previous Explorer had a TSB 20-286 oil cooler replacement at the dealer and drives but is still shifting funny.
  20. R

A repair shop(not the dealer) did something to stop the leak and hopefully topped the atf off in the 2020 Explorer 2.3L 2wd. The trans functions and the drive/reverse engagements are better but there's still gear whine and poor shift quality. There's also still atf dripping slowly off the shift...
  21. R

6R60 Torque Converter Lockup/1-2 Shift Quality Issues

Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about the 6R60/80 transmission and I love the way it operates when it is functioning correctly. These things happen though. My Mountaineer seems like it was maintained well, but after 180k miles something in the transmission has gone awry. Enjoy your...
  22. R

6R60 Torque Converter Lockup/1-2 Shift Quality Issues

-6 months later- You offer useful insight, but I'm pretty positive my Mountaineer isn't misfiring. New coils and plugs. I've never felt a single stumble from it and the misfire monitors are all at 0. Reverse and gears 2-6 work beautifully. If it were a misfire or CAN interference issue I would...
  23. R

Had a 10R60 take a **** on me today. 2020 Explorer Limited 2.3L 2wd, 10k miles. The floorboard was full of sand, so I'm assuming it had just been on a long trip to the beach. Engine and transmission were fully warmed up when I got into it. Immediately noticed a delayed/slipping/harsh engagement...
Back