Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Massive Oil Leak

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a final update. After 10 days, I do not seem to have an oil leak!!! I would highly recommend anybody doing these tensioners to just stay with OEM as well as the washer, and to use a little of the Ultra Black like I was recommended to do. I can't tell if I'm...
  2. B

Massive Oil Leak

Fixed pictures
  3. B

Massive Oil Leak

Here are pictures of the ultra black. I put a skim coat on the head, at the base of the tensioner mating surface, on the underside of the gasket, and lightly filled in the cracks top side of the gasket to keep it in check. I made sure to keep it in its place If it wiggled out. Moving slowly...
  4. B

Massive Oil Leak

I have RTV on the way from Carquest at the moment. I just visually inspected and took pictures for you all to see the mating surface at the head. In one image you will see some VERY light scratches. I have ran my finger over the ridge 20 times and cannot feel any variance of any kind. I am...
  5. B

Massive Oil Leak

I had thought about adding RTV to it as a last ditch effort, honestly. I have indeed confirmed it is coming from the tensioner, it soaks the whole exterior of the mating surface instantly when I fire it over. I always spray it with brake clean and hit it with some compressed air to watch it...
  6. B

Massive Oil Leak

How would not running a gasket help verify its flat? Just curious. Also I took a file to the used one, it was indeed warped, but most of it was probably due to turning a wrench on it attempting to seal it up after the fact with engine running, which may have just set me back? Here is the used...
  7. B

Massive Oil Leak

The thing is, this tensioner on my desk is the second to last one I installed. The one of the vehicle is leaking just as profusely. I wonder if it is just as warped, but will not know until tonight. Am I missing anything in my install? Thoroughly inspect and clean mating surfaces Use heavy...
  8. B

Massive Oil Leak

It appears the images didnt upload. Ill try again.
  9. B

Massive Oil Leak

The OEM tensioner came in today but they look identical. Should i be concerned about the markings on the old tensioner? Its only be ran a short amount of time. The only other thing i can think of is I managed to crossthread 2 inches of aluminum without ever noticing it but thats practically...
  10. B

Massive Oil Leak

The OEM tensioner came in today but they look identical. Should i be concerned about the markings on the old tensioner? Its only be ran a short amount of time. The only other thing i can think of is I managed to crossthread 2 inches of aluminum without ever noticing it but thats practivally...
  11. B

Massive Oil Leak

I do not. It was scrapped 2 weeks ago unfortunately. I will be ordering an OEM unit on Monday to compare them to.
  12. B

Massive Oil Leak

Just an update guys. I am on my fourth Cloyes tensioner, the second to last tensioner I installed I even used an OEM washer. I did indeed source the leak to the tensioner, using dye and a UV flashlight. Unfortunately, the leak has gotten substantially worse. I can see it spewing out at the...
  13. B

Massive Oil Leak

I already replaced the rear tensioner first, and it did come with a crush washer. I am speaking of the FRONT tensioner, it did NOT come with a crush washer. I will contact the supplier and have them send me a new one.
  14. B

Massive Oil Leak

The thing is, the tensioner did not come with a crush washer. But what is odd is it does not look like it is leaking from that area, as I do not see oil in the valley of the lower intake manifold. I bought a Cloyes tensioner, which should be a decent manufacturer. Should it have came with a...
  15. B

Massive Oil Leak

Hey everyone! It's bean YEARS since I've posted on here, but I haven't had an Explorer ince I graduated college. I picked up a 1998 4.0 SOHC recently that had a no start due to a faulty CKPS. $13 later I was on the road bringing it to work to shake it down. I've only done a few small repairs as...
  16. B

Explorer Falls on its Face

Hey guys, Sorry I havn't gotten back so soon, been one hell of a week. I replaced the FPR about 3 years ago because it started leaking fuel on my manifold. The wires and plugs were replaced 2 years ago, I cleaned the MAFS about 4 years ago, as well as the IAC. I can check for vacuum leaks...
  17. B

Explorer Falls on its Face

Hey guys, Lately (since the summer began) the truck has been falling on its face left and right. It only happens on part throttle and wot. It doesn't happen under light cruising. It feels like its hesitates. It will shutter, won't have any power, and the whole truck shakes. I thought it might...
  18. B

Odd gear engagement?

Hey guys, My explorer's tranny went out the other day and I bought a factory refurbished one from a jy for 300 with 60,000 miles on it. Got it all put in, put some lucas in and filled her up. She doesn't want to shift out of 2nd into third, once it shifts it bounces back to 2nd after a few...
  19. B

Need some quick help on Transmission!

Ok so an update. Is the rooster supposed to be able to move freely through all gears? Because mine wont move past one gear like the long rod is jammed up inside. Sound wrong or right? Thanks! - Brandon
  20. B

I checked the thread and also the thread within the linked thread but nothing is telling me if my valve is too far over or not. If it helps the picture was taken with my feet laying out on the drivers side looking straight up. I just could have swore that valve was all the way in its bore in...
  21. B

You can't really see where the detent is catching but it's the last indentation on that gear select thing. I probably sound like an idiot with my terminology, but I don't know much about transmissions haha. As you can see the plunger/valve is overlapping the mating surface for the pan. but it...
  22. B

Hey guys! So I finally got my Shift linkage seal replaced and i was about to bolt everything up when I looked at it and something didn't seem right. I don't remember this plunger or valve thing sticking this far out. The ex is in park if it helps (more like parking brake fully engaged...
  23. B

Tranny Leak

Hey guys, I have a good sized tranny leak that seems to be coming from the shift linkage thing thats mounted to the tranny itself. I hope that makes sense. Is this common and how do I fix it? I don't know much about trannys so I dont wanna just open it up lol. Thanks yall! - Brandon
  24. B

What will the grills fit?

Will they fit Econlines or F150's?
  25. B

What will the grills fit?

Hey guys, I have a stock grill to a 91-94 explorer, and was wondering if they fit on anything else than the explorer and the rangers? Thanks! - Brandon
Back