Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

engine toughness

The engine (made in Germany) is probably the strongest point of the vehicle.
  2. G

02 rear axle seal problems

Here's some stuff I copied off a repair CD that may give you an idea of what's involved. «2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Table of Contents» «Group 2: Chassis» «Section 205-05: REAR DRIVE HALFSHAFTS» «REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION» Halfshaft Special Service Tool(s) Protector...
  3. G

02 v8 problem

Are you using a good quality oil filter? I put one of those Walmart filters on my toyota and it started knocking on cold startup and I switched it out and the noise stopped. If the filter doesn't have a valve to prevent oil from draining out, it can take a while to build your oil pressure up...
  4. G

Just Purchased My 2002

The DPFE sensor warranty was extended by 2 years or 24,000 miles. I replaced mine after the extended warranty was out and it only cost $30 at the Ford dealer. It took about a minute to install it myself. The dealership wanted something like $140 to install it. I found what it looked like and...
  5. G

2003 Ford Explorer Rear Differential Whine

I bought one from this guy on ebay. I made an offer of $400 including shipping and he took it. I paid the dealer $300 to install it and everything is good so far...
  6. G

I solved my rear end howling problems by buying a new differential on ebay. Here's the link to the one I got. I paid the dealership $300 plus tax to install it and fill with oil. This guy has some more of them listed in his ebay store. I made him an offer of $400 including shipping and he took...
  7. G

Mine leaked at about the same mileage and the dealer charged me $300 to replace them. Make sure they give you a 12 month written warranty. They did for me and mine leaked again about 8 months later. They replaced them for free. I've tinkered with cars all my life and after seeing what was...
  8. G

O2 sensor and cat converter

Something came loose inside the cat converter on my wife's S-10 and it make a hell of a rattling noise. It didn't cost anywhere near $700 to replace it though. I think you probably got ripped off on the price. $400 for an O2 sensor seems outrageous too. Next time you need diagnostic done. go...
  9. G

suggestions for improving mileage... chipping?

Put more air in the tires.
  10. G

I guess I'm going to have to leave now

I sold my '02 Explorer. took the wife's Toyota Prerunner to pull the boat with and got her a new '07 Corolla. I guess I'll go looking for some Toyota boards now. I did get a lot of valuable info from you guys. Thanks.
  11. G

Thinking of getting a 02 XLT

If an '02 doesn't have the whine, then it's most likely been repaired. I think most all of them had this problem. Several on this board have said they had theirs repaired and the whine came back later. The v-6 has been a good engine for me and has plenty of power. Mine has about 85,000...
  12. G

Thinking of getting a 02 XLT

Take it out on the highway before you buy. At around 60-65 mph, listen for a whine coming from the rear end. Take your foot off the gas and see if there is a change in the sound. If you hear a whine when giving it gas and it goes away when you let off it, then you have a differential problem.
  13. G

Synthetic Oil and Gas Grade Recommendations

The owner's manual for my 2002 says not to use gas with an octane higher than 87. That it could cause poor performance.
  14. G

Need Help Finding Wheel Opening Trim Part

Go to ford-parts.com Select parts and then select body parts Type in your vehicle type In the left column, select FENDER then select EXT TRIM, then WHEEL OPENING MOULDING and then select the type you need. You may need to call them to insure it's the part you actually need.
  15. G

Can I put a 245 instead of a 235 Tire on my truck?

Yep, I have 245/75/16's on mine.
  16. G

Owners Manual on my 2002 XLT

Look on ebay. They have lots of them there.
  17. G

Black panel between front and rear window

Go to ford-parts.com or fordparts.com and look up body parts. Then click on front door/ exterior trim/upper moulding and there will be a choice of moulding for vehicles with or without keypad. Runs a little over $50.00 I couldn't figure out how to locate the trim on the liftgate pillars in...
  18. G

Roof Rack Paint ?

I looked up those black plastic window trim panels on an online ford dealer site and they are over $50.00 each. There's 6 of them. Has anyone tried painting them?
  19. G

Detailing problem + others

I use Windex and paper towels on mine and it does just fine.
  20. G

cabin filter in 03 E.B.?

Get yourself an old dog. Ride him everywhere you go and don't be giving him any baths. Within a few weeks, you won't smell the smoke any more and you will have a really good friend. Anyone know how to get the dog smell out of an Explorer?
  21. G

Honest opinions of your Explorers?

The Honda is probably more "American" than the Explorer. My '02 has Made In Germany stickers on the engine. My ABS light came on about a year ago and is still on and the rear end howls. I had to have axle seals put in the rear end twice, but other than that, no problems. It's really a pretty...
  22. G

'02 A/C Vent Temperature 52F. OK?

According to the owner's manual. Running the a/c on Max is more economical and gives you colder air. When on Max, the already cooled air inside the vehicle ie recirculated and cooled again. On other settings, the hot air from outside the car is drawn inside and cooled which is not nearly as...
  23. G

rear end problems HELP

I just bought a brand new one on ebay. The whole differential for $379.00. I'll know in a week or so if I made a good deal or not. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F8074895050_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQfviZ1&item=8074895050
  24. G

differential leak

I had mine replaced twice. I got it done at the Ford dealer and it had 12 months warranty. They started leaking again after about 8 months and there was no charge the second time. The cost was about the same as what you paid.
  25. G

How about 255/70/16's on 02+ Explorer?

I have 245/75/16's on mine. I think yours would definately look better with bigger tires. It made my speedometer off a little though. 105 miles on the interstate according to the mile markers show 100 on the odometer.
Back