Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Grinding noise

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the front bearings. They should be sealed, and I changed the right one about 10k ago. Running through the water probably didn't help. :( I'm pretty sure the ABS problem was simply a bad rear sensor. When I put a meter on it, is showed an open circuit. I...
  2. R

Grinding noise

My 2000 Sport has developed a grinding noise, and I can't figure out where it is coming from. It happens at speeds as low as 10-15 MPH... and sounds pretty bad. I thought it was the rear diff at first, so I went ahead and changed the fluids (full synthetic, to the tune of $80). The grinding...
  3. R

ABS Warning Light

Just replaced my rear sensor for an ABS light on. Light went off on its own. Old sensor = open circuit New sensor = 1800 ohms
  4. R

brown wire mod?

My experience is: when it kicks in, it usually kicks in hard - especially in snow. I can't believe that it could possibly be good for the system to slam into service while the RPMs are up high. I think it was a stupid design in the first place. People who rely on the 'system', to control...
  5. R

SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty

You're the exception, and I also must add; you're the kind of guy I like to BUY my used cars from! :D Anyway, in the context of a warrantee; I think, if it’s a defect, it’s a defect! What kind of garbage is it to put limits on time or mileage, when Ford knows they sent out defective...
  6. R

SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty

Who has a 6 year-old Explorer with less than 72k miles? That's crazy! A whole 12k a year... :rolleyes: What does Ford want you to do - park it and never drive anywhere? My 2000 has over 110k on it. Has the rattle at startup too. :mad:
  7. R

Disconnect IAC and truck runs GREAT!

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I was just repeating the measurement I got. I'm seriously *hoping* the unit is BAD!
  8. R

Buzzed it twice, with a good digital meter. Tried both polarities too, just in case there was a diode in there. Came out 26 ohms both times.
  9. R

There's a good 1/8" between the plunger and to where the IAC "would" be fully closed. I can grab the shaft with a needle-nose pliers and push it closed, but it just pops back open again when I let go. On the other hand, the throttle butterfly looks like it is closing completely. Not even a...
  10. R

HA!!! Good one. I normally buy *anything* NOT made in the USA, but thought I'd take a chance on a Ford after having such a good experience with my Nissan/Mercury Quest/Villager. I did next to nothing with that vehicle, and sold it with 247,000 miles, still running strong. Actually, the...
  11. R

Where should the plunger be normally (no power to it)? Mine sits open a little (maybe 1/16th inch) when I take it out and look at it. I'm assuming the rest position would be wide open, or closed, not "half-way open".
  12. R

The movie didn't want to play for me. I'm on a WinXP machine, but I do have fully registered QuickTime Player. Still... no workie. What's the IAC wooooo? Is that the issue with them making a hooting sound? Anyway, I get NO difference *at all* when I plug and unplug the IAC while the...
  13. R

Rear wiper doesn’t work

Mine would "try" to move, but it wouldn't. You could hear the motor trying, but the arm just jerked a bit. Giving it a tug worked. The only problem I had after that was the wiper didn't contact the window firmly enough to clean it well. I had to do a little "mod" with a file to fix that...
  14. R

I pulled a freeze frame on it from my ODBII reader. Says it's idling at 820 with the IAC disconnected. Funny thing is I have always had the high idle problem at startup, after tapping the gas, and when slowing down. I thought it was just characteristic of the truck. I didn't get my...
  15. R

Rear wiper doesn’t work

Limit switch problem? I have read about a very common Limit Switch issue with Explorer rear wipers. Mine did not work when I first bought my truck (used, 2000 sport). I grabbed the arm where it connects to the motor, and gave it a firm pull straight out (away from the rear door). The wiper...
  16. R

headlight cleaning ?

I have used Kit Scratch Out with very good success on several cars. You can get it at Wal-Mart for a few bucks, and it works as well as the kit I bought that was made for headlights which cost 10x as much! I rub it on with a cloth, then go at it with my electric buffer. Lights come out smooth...
  17. R

Truck is a 2000 Explorer Sport, with 4.0 SOHC. I have a MIL on, and a P1506 code. I searched the forum, and all I can seem to find are stalling issues related to the IAC and P1506 codes. Seems like the 'norm' is engine stalls flat out if you disconnect the IAC electrical connector. Mine...
  18. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

That simply means to connect a 'jumper' wire to that terminal. On mine, it was the lower pin, as seen when connected properly. I don't understand how someone could charge your system, and leak test it, if your A/C isn't working... :(
  19. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

There is a low pressure switch. Without pressure, the compressor will not run.
  20. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

Could be lots of things I'd start with the simple first. When it was working - was it ice cold? If it was getting warmer... it could just need a can of R134. If you think the charge is okay, I would try jumping the pos terminal of the clutch to the pos terminal of your battery. The pos on...
  21. R

A/C on all the time

Thanks!!! Thanks for the additional explain! I did the same thing - bought my EX w/o working air. I drove it all fall and winter that way. I charged it this spring, and was as surprised as you when I heard the clutch cycling on non-A/C settings. I'm an engineer, so it *really* amazes...
  22. R

A/C on all the time

Exactly what mine does... that's "normal"??? I just charged my (previously non-working) A/C system a couple weeks ago. I've only run it a few times, and it seems to still be cold. However, I noticed the A/C clutch engaging this AM, when I had it at the vent/floor setting. When I go to...
  23. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

Mine was near the passenger-side firewall. Right on the accumulator (can shaped thing with rounded top). On mine, the high and low side has a different size fitting, so you couldn't confuse them. Not sure about a '94 though. Mine's a 2000.
  24. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

It's just an Interdynamics kit I got at my local auto parts store. It came with 2 cans of 134a, a trigger/gauge, and the UV 'pen'. See http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=27&PID=225 I tried tightening the bolts yesterday. I can only (easily) get at three of the four. Unfortunately, I...
  25. R

A/C Clutch not engaging

Yes, I stand corrected. It's UV, not IR. Thank you for the suggestion about tightening the bolts. Duh!?? I didn't even think to look to see if it was bolted together in the middle... though it makes sense now that you mentioned it. Guess I inhaled too much of that refrigerant. :confused:
Back