Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

Help pulling SOHC engine

VROOM... Thank you! That helps immensely!, or in Swedish...Tack! Det hjälper oerhört! Bill
  2. 2

My 98 Explorer is running rough. Please help.

Not sure if this is related, but years ago I owned a 1989 Buick Skylark with a 4 cyl engine. It began running very rough. I looked underneath and saw the catalytic converter glowing like a charcoal briquet. I ultimately found that the Buick's engine had two coil packs. Each coil pack fired two...
  3. 2

Help pulling SOHC engine

Anyone pull their SOHC engine and can help me here? Looking at the engine again, trying to see where I can lift the engine from, I can see that I'd be able to use threaded holes on the front of the heads where the power steering pump is mounted, but still nothing's obvious on the passenger side...
  4. 2

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

That's odd. All I get are the boxes with the red X. Most, but not all, of the other threads seem to work. Bill
  5. 2

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Reading this thread has given me the courage I need to tackle this job. My engine had the front tensioner done at 20,000 miles but recently, at 95K miles, the engine lost oil pressure, probably from plastic clogging the oil pump pickup, as suggested by knowledgeable people here. Only disturbing...
  6. 2

96 OHV lower radiator hose removal?

Take a large pair of pliers or channelocks, open them up large enough to go around the hose at the neck, squeeze the pliers just enough to grasp the hose, then twist the pliers back and forth being careful not to overtorque the neck. It should break loose. Then you can tug on the hose to get it...
  7. 2

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

Pics? The pics aren't showing. Were these originally posted on a photohosting site and the links are now bad? Would be great if they worked. Otherwise, good thread. Thanks, Bill
  8. 2

Help pulling SOHC engine

Hello all and thanks in advance. I'm pulling the 4.0 SOHC engine out of my 2000 XLT with 95K miles. I had posted a topic a couple of weeks ago about how the engine had lost oil pressure and started clattering, had it towed home. Well, I just started taking it apart. Took pics and...
  9. 2

Lost oil pressure - 2000 SOHC 4.0

I haven't done anything as yet to my Explorer. Luckily, I've got a beater to drive while the truck gets repaired. I've read through probably the first 11 pages in the thread that Don suggested and have learned a lot thus far. One bit of history I should have mentioned is that I'm the...
  10. 2

Don, Started reading through that link you gave me, WOW! That's a really great write-up. I just got through 3 of the 15 pages and will continue reading it tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Bill
  11. 2

Thanks Don, I did a google search after I posted here and found a few posts. One mentioned a guy whose engine lost pressure, seized, but then was able to restart it and heard it clatter. His mechanic tore the engine down, replaced a couple valves, and found the pump to be good but that a...
  12. 2

Driving back home today with the Explorer loaded with the college daughter's belongings, going about 70 MPH and passing someone on I-55, when I hear my engine tapping badly. Look to see my oil pressure is gone, needle is all the way below L. Next exit is coming right up, so ending up driving...
  13. 2

Error code 455-Gross leak

B33, The junkyard I went to is part of a national chain called Pick-N-Pull. I don't think they ship parts. The one I go to charges customers $2.00 to walk the yard. They've gotten better at giving you specific prices for a given part. When I went there, they pulled up a picture of the...
  14. 2

When you replace the rubber hose and install your hose clamps, consider using two clamps on each end, with the tightening screws 180 degrees out from each other. This will help ensure a good seal. Might not hurt to wipe a bit of RTV sealer on the metal tube, too, before sliding the rubber hose...
  15. 2

Thanks B33 for the post.:thumbsup: I've been having problems with my 2000 Explorer getting an error for a small fuel vapor leak. I've cleared the error with my Actron scanner. I could sometimes smell gas near the gascap, so I replaced it, but still no luck. Now I've gotten a light on my dash...
  16. 2

P0442 EVAP Emission Control system Leak (Small)

My 2000 Explorer has had the small evap leak for the past 3 months. I bought a Actron code scanner/reader and cleared the fault, but it came back two days later. My truck has had a gas odor back near the gasfill. I decided to install a new gas cap, cleared the code again. About a week later...
  17. 2

SOHC new noise at cold start!

Looks like the ice was the problem. Wish I could have actually seen the problem at hand while someone else was cranking the engine. Anyway, thanks for the replies. Keep warm, winter is here. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I enjoy ice fishing. Bill
  18. 2

OK, When I got home, I shut off the engine, took a look under the truck. There was a considerable amount of ice frozen on each side of the truck on the a-arms(?), where they attach to the frame on either side of the engine. I kicked it off. Then tonight when I left for work, I expected to...
  19. 2

Thanks for the reply, Dave. You might be onto something there with the trans mount. I did notice a bit of vibration, although slight, when I backed out of the parking space at work. No vibration when I drove off. But then, I don't know why it wouldn't make the same noise when warmed up...
  20. 2

Hello All! New here, but have visited and searched in the past for answers. Great site! Anyway, I own a 2000 Explorer, SOHC. Live in the Chicago area. Haven't really used the four wheel drive much. This past week we had a pretty decent snowfall. I used the four wheel in high for the drive...
Back