Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Brand New 4.0 sohc Engine Install Preperation

Thanks for the photo's 2000StreetRod. Funny that, I got all my new parts shipped over from Tasca as parts are getting hard to find over here. The second pic of the front LH guide looks identical to the one already in the engine, which is why I believe its the upgraded version :-/ ???
  2. P

This one is very clean body and rust wise, just the hydraulic pipes that seem to rust away. I'll enjoy getting my hands dirty swapping the engine so that's a good enough reason I suppose :-D
  3. P

Thanks koda2000. I have been thinking whether it's worth the hassle repairing the car at all as its getting rather old now but I just love the things :-/ I'm sure I've seen pictures on here of the old front guide and it looks like the hinged body section is plastic and snaps near the hinge...
  4. P

Yeah I agree they did the upgrades from 2002 but I remember having a conversation with someone awhile back saying they did a revision in late 1999. I replaced the timing chains on my old 99 model to which seemed to have the newer guides, they were exactly the same as the new ones I got from...
  5. P

That was my plan to install updated timing components and I bought all the stuff to do it. Funny thing is that from what I can tell this new engine has the upgraded cassette guides. Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the original front LH chain guide plastic and the upgraded one was metal?? This...
  6. P

Yeah I oiled everything up before cranking it so just gonna install the engine and go from there. Paid £800 (UKP) quite awhile ago now. Gonna renew all the timing chain components on the old engine and sell that on, only done 73000
  7. P

Thanks for the reply. I was cranking it for near on 5 mins at one point till I'd had enough but nothing :-/
  8. P

I know this is an old post now but need some help. I had to put the engine project on hold but now I'm back on it. I've filled the engine with oil and lubed up the chains and cam parts. I've tried turning and turning the engine over by hand but an not getting oil coming through the rails. Will...
  9. P

Finally got time to reply. Many thanks for your help guys. Would you suggest putting some lube down the bores before cranking it by hand? If so whats the best lube for that? Thats a good idea about the coolant 2000StreetRod. I had major coolant problems with my last Explorer but not had a...
  10. P

Hi Guys, Need some advice on preparing a new never been run or installed engine for installation. It is a complete year 2000 engine and has been sat on its crate for all this time. It all looks nice and shiney when you look into the bores and oil cap. I believe it has been imported over from...
  11. P

New sohc engine, Chain Cassette Help!!

There's a UK section!!??!! Wouldn't of thought there would be any difference in the actual engine. Maybe differences in the engine wiring loom perhaps as i know the loom goes to the right bulkhead on the LHD and to the left on the RHD models due to the steering column and brake master...
  12. P

Installing a 4x2 engine in 4x4 good or bad?

Hi all, I have a thread going elsewhere which has turned into another question, so I have started a new thread with the correct title. Original thread link below. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3135933&posted=1#post3135933 Cheers Ken
  13. P

So I should have no problems installing this engine then :-/ Ooh one other thing. Do you know if there is any difference between the LHD engine and the RHD engine? My Explorer has the RHD engine and the new engine is labeled LHD!!
  14. P

Will be interested in the reply to that. So I'm guessing you don't really need the balance shaft. Never really understood how the balance shaft worked anyway! Thanks for the replies guys.
  15. P

Well the engine arrived today. There isn't a number stamped on the back of the engine like shown in the picture on the above link. There is a ford part number sticker on the valve cover which has a date 01/19/00. Guess it has the old timing parts in it :/ Thing that concerns me is that it has...
  16. P

Thanks for that 2000StreetRod. That was an easy answer :) Won't know what year the engine is until i receive it in the next few days. Fingers crossed its 2002 onwards. If not i will have the decision as to whether leave it as is or swap the timing gear for the upgraded parts before installing...
  17. P

Hi all, I'm getting a new unused 4.0 litre sohc engine delivered shortly to put in my 1999 Explorer. The previous owner isn't sure what year the engine was manufactured so i was wondering how i could identify if it has the upgraded timing components of the 2002 engine or whether it is the...
  18. P

Full Timing Chain Cassette Replacement Helpful Links???

Thanks for the reply. Its not that one no. It was before October 2007, that was when i done my timing component replacement. It was a complete write up of this guys project that gave a complete (dummy proof) guide showing from start to finish how to remove the engine, strip the timing components...
  19. P

Full Timing Chain Cassette Replacement Helpful Links???

Hi Guys, About 6 years ago i took out my engine and replaced all the chains, guides, sprockets etc etc from my 1999 4 litre sohc explorer. Before i embarked on that adventure i did loads of research on this forum and gathered all the information which gave me incentive to do this somewhat brave...
  20. P

Won't Idle and runs rough and 'STINKS' of rotten eggs

Cheers Joe, i did suspect water might of got into one of the plug leads after i washed it, as it was showing the classic symptoms. Only thing is, why would it run ok on petrol but not on LPG. The LPG system usually switches off if theres a problem. Cant work it out!
  21. P

If it hadn't of happened just in a split second i would of suspected a cat problem but i dont think its that. The engine check light has been on for awhile with the usual lean on banks 1 & 2 code error. This problem only occurred after i washed the truck which might be just a coincidence but...
  22. P

Hi guys, gotta a wierd one here. Took the car out this morning and it was running fine. Come home and gave it a wash. Now for some strange reason it wont idle on LPG (just dies when you take ya foot off the pedal) and runs like a sack of ****e with very little power. The smell from the exhaust...
  23. P

Timing Cover Coolant leak

Well if you had the oil pan off and didn't notice any water in the oil then i guess you dont have water leaking inwards from the timing cover gasket. If you have plastic parts in the oil pan, then it could be from either the front or rear tensioner OR both, but i doubt it would still be...
  24. P

Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry.

Just got to sort out all my other problems now....Water loss, lean on banks 1&2 code problem, uneven tick over, excessive fuel consumption, shock absorbers, camber/caster alignment and so on. :(
  25. P

Another GROWL problem and no idea, sorry.

Yeah it turned out to be the right hub which completely surprised me! Everything was pointing to it being the left hub (even the growl sound was more on the left side), and i had hubs go on my previous explorer and they all were the hubs which went quiet when i turned and took the load off them...
Back