Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Crankshaft broke 98 XLT

? I don't think insurance will pay for anything. It's a mechanical problem. Will most likely buy used. Ford dealer that "maintained" it is willing to give me $2500 for it as trade towards new or used off their lot. May have to take it. 2004 Ex's with under 25k miles for $16k-$20k. May look...
  2. N

Crankshaft broke 98 XLT

Thanks, I have to make a decision in the next 24 hours or so.
  3. N

Crankshaft broke 98 XLT

My crankshaft broke Sunday night. 98 XLT SOHC w/ 98K miles. Just driving along Rt. 76 outside Philly and heard a light clunk and the engine just stopped. I coasted about another 3/4 of a mile and found a little bit of shoulder next to a snow bank. Had it flatbedded to Ford. They looked at it...
  4. N

Who Has Experienced A Broken Crankshaft???

19xls99, Thanks for the sympathy. I am coming to terms with it. I'm trying for the cheapest fix possible. I'll have someone determine if the crankshaft replacement will work. Either way, I was out looking at 4Runners tonight. Nice truck. Trying to keep with the "buy American" but I got an...
  5. N

Who Has Experienced A Broken Crankshaft???

Mine just went last night. 98 XLT SOHC w/ 98K miles. Just driving along Rt. 76 outside Philly and heard a light clunk and the engine just stopped. I coasted about another 3/4 of a mile and found a little bit of shoulder next to a snow bank. Had it flatbedded to Ford. They looked at it this...
  6. N

Engine Idle Racing

Jon Referring to your earlier post: These symptoms were going on for a few minutes during a few times driving before I ever looked at the temp guage. It was pegged at HOT! I opened the hood a little and kept it slow until I got to the dealership about 2 miles away. Mike
  7. N

Engine Idle Racing

It was the thermostat. Cleared the symptoms right up. My theory is that the sohc X has a "limp home" feature: 1) Engine starts getting hot due to bad thermo 2) Engine runs fast (1200rpm) at idle to speed fan up for more cooling. 3) Engine bangs into gear due to fast idle and causes car to...
  8. N

Anyone else heard of this?-SOHC fix

I have a 98 SOHC XLT. I had both the cam belt tensioner and the timing belt tensioner replaced before all of the rattling stopped. It took about 5 trips to the dealer but that was a year ago and I have not heard the problem since. Before that it sounded like a diesel truck at some engine...
  9. N

Engine Idle Racing

My 98 XLT SOHC is doing everything described here. I was driving home yesterday and noticed the car was not shifting correctly when starting from a stop. It would bang into a gear and often went to a higher gear too early causing a load on the engine. When I would stop the engine would stay...
  10. N

Shuddering at idle in 98 XLT

Great responses. Thanks for the info. I'll try MAS cleaning procedure this weekend and maybe the fuel treatment if the rough idle persists.
  11. N

Please forgive me, but I know I'm suppossed to look really hard with the search function but could someone bring a post back up that really explains how to clean the MAS. Others may benefit from this as well since it seems to be the first stop in troubleshooting a problem. I've found numerous...
  12. N

Hi all, I have an intermittent shuddering in my 98 XLT SOHC while I am sitting at idle. Sometimes it is barely noticeable like a slight vibration that comes and goes but other times it really starts to shake and rattles my CDs in the center console and anything else loose in the car. Of...
Back