Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

cold idle good hot idle bad... (?!?)...

I gotta agree. Everything you describe is a symptom of a bad IAC...... I know you replaced it, but bad parts happen to good people!
  2. D

190 k miles on 96 X that I just bought for $3k is that good??

My 96 EB has 180K on it and still runs pretty well. Generally only done normal maintenance, and the only things I've had to replace so far are the AC fan, and an idler pulley and serp belt! Treat them right and they'll treat you right. I paid a hell of a lot more for mine at 150K than you...
  3. D

Weird Cooling Problem

Coolant level is fine. I'm off to get a radiator cap today. We'll see if that works - as well as "burping" the system as some archive threads suggest. At first I thought it might be the water pump, but after driving around town for about 1/2 hour at 65 degrees outside it never got warmer than...
  4. D

Weird Cooling Problem

Hi, I'v got a 96 EB 4.0 and have recently had some strange cooling issues. Not sure what to replace. Started in cold weather, truck would get HOT, for a second or two then I guess the thermostat opened and it dropped to normal. Heat started working, so I assumed thermostat (I have not...
  5. D

Speedo help!!!

The speed sensor doesn't control the speedometer or odometer until 96......It's a cable before that. Most likely, after reaching around 45 MPH, the cable is slipping.
  6. D

How to turn off alarm once its blaring?

You're going to think this is stupid, but a mechanic told me this once. When the alarm goes off and you hit the button on the remote. Touch the remote to your chin. It appears to boost the signal (perhaps working like an antenna.) It looks and sounds stupid, but it has always worked for me...
  7. D

What should I expect?

It downshifts fine - if anything too much in my opinion. Just cruising around town, it will kick out of od at a higher RPM than I would like.....
  8. D

What should I expect?

According to the axle code, I have a 4.1 rear end I think. It DOES have the tow pkg and the aux tranny cooler. Additionally - I've changed every fluid in the vehicle short of brakes. They're fine. E brake doesn't work though. Never has. Cable gets tight, calipers seem to move, but no E brake.
  9. D

What should I expect?

I have had my 96 EB for about 1 1/2 years now. Bought it at 165K miles!! Now has almost 177K. It has obviously been well cared for. I've replaced only plugs/wires/O2 sensors. Installed K&M drop in and removed lower airbox cover. Can't justify a new exhaust yet. Couple of problems - Most...
  10. D

I'M GETTING SUED!!

Ok, been here before. The insurance company has retained a lawyer to represent you guys. He had a policy with an upper limit for liablity (generally $100K.) His insurance company offerred to settle with the litigants for a too small amount (in their eyes) and they elected to sue. Here's what...
  11. D

High milage explorers?

96 EB V6 180000 miles New 02's. LF control arm. Normal Maintenance - Probably due for U Joints, everyting else is perfect! LOVE MY X!!!
  12. D

Funny thing at Ford Service Dept. part 2

I would think that the California Lemon Law would apply to your truck: The California "Lemon Law" The California Lemon Law (officially known as the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty act, found in California Civil Code sections 1790 et seq.) is a law designed to protect consumers who purchase...
  13. D

Rough to start...

Sounds like the fuel system is losing pressure. Could be any number of places. I once had a van that had a bad valve in the fuelpump which allowed the fuel pressure in the system to leak out w/o losing any fuel. Just a thought.
  14. D

stupid engine! Mine Bogs... Help guys!

My 96 EB has a 4.10. Maybe for the tow package?
  15. D

Smoke out of the vents.....?????

Sounds like a cooling system leak somewhere. Most likely the core....Sorry.
  16. D

95+ console computer

But if you decide not to do it, let me know, I'll take it off your hands. My 96 EB's console computer needs replacing. Ticks off miles while sitting still!!! Really screws up the calculations for range, etc...
  17. D

lack of power/rough idle when hot outside

Hi Folks, Just curious if anyone else had had this problem. When it's hot outside - 90+, my engine will start and idle rough and lack power. Doesn't seem to happen when the engine is hot - just when hot outside. When it's cooler, it runs fine. Any suggestions?? Douglas
  18. D

Help needed!! getting ripped off by a dealer

My 96 EB did the same thing once. I reset the computer and all was well. Also, it seems to me that someone here on the board had the same type of problem and resolved it, but I don't remember exactly how. Might check the archives. As far as the head gasket, I don't believe it for a second...
  19. D

Problems with Testing CEL

Only used his tester, but it works on other vehicles. Kinda' worried that my computer isn't working properly..... Hate like heck to take it to the dealer.....
  20. D

Problems with Testing CEL

Hi Folks, Have had some rough running issues while the engine is hot, so I took my truck to my local mechanic. He used a Snap On CEL reader to test the truck. It cam back with a bad upstream O2 sensor and an incomplete test message. Replaced the sensor, and the same error still comes up...
  21. D

Odd Running when warm

MAS cleaned - no FPR though....
  22. D

Climate Control aka no air, no heat??

My 96 EB started doing the same thing! Try this: Open the hood, and smack the fan with your hand. Works on mine every time. Haven't decided yet whether the fan is going bad or I have a loose connection. I've checked the wires, and they seem ok. Maybe it's time for a new fan motor...
  23. D

Odd Running when warm

Hi all, Have a 96 EB V6 with 173K on it. Usually runs great, but it seems that when it's hot out, or when the engine is hot, it runs badly. Rough idle at start - bogs down a bit. Rev it a few times, and it runs ok. WHen cold, it seems to run fine. I've replaced O2 sensor (front), plugs...
  24. D

rough startup - bad mileage

HI, Replaced my plugs with bosch 2's and changed wires about 1000 miles ago (maybe a little less). Now when I startup the truck (almost every time) it runs really rough for a few minutes till it warms up a bit. Gas mileage is now down to 10 MPG in town! Was getting 15 or so. Have run...
  25. D

New plugs/Wires - Reset Computer???

Hi all, Just installed new plugs (Bosch 2 electrode) and replaced oem plugs. New wires as well. Do I need to reset my computer?
Back