Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Trac Got Heatstroke

That def sounds like alternator failure. If it starts up, don't get too far from home :-)
  2. S

Trac DEAD, what should I do with it?

Photos! http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaphone/sets/72157630468989468/ Opinions, worth selling for parts? What is a fair asking price? Or should I write it off? Thanks guys!
  3. S

It looks like at this point, I'm going to give the trac a cursory clean up, and throw it up on craigslist as a "for scrap or parts" car. I have two little kids, so the interior is not super clean like it would be if I were a single dude. Also, many minor systems have failed in the last year, and...
  4. S

It got the basic fluids & brake and tire maintenance, but the original engine failed due to worn piston rings (reported misfires, starting leaking oil). We swapped in a junkyard motor (which also had >100k miles on it already) just to see if we could get a little more life out of it, and got...
  5. S

My silver 2002 Sport Trac blew its head gasket last week at 157k, and this was its second motor. In the past year, the A/C has died and the transmission O/D light blinks every few weeks with knocking from the rear (prob a solenoid issue), and other minor problems. Because it's such a low-MPG...
  6. S

Remote Start and Keyless entry both stopped working today

My factory-installed remote starter stopped working, and keyless entry doesn't work either. Attempting to use the remote starter honks the horn, but fails and flashes THEFT on the dash. Keyless entry went from working fine to completely non-functional. Is there an RF transponder somewhere that...
  7. S

'02 Trac is toast, what should I do with it?

I'll have the full results tomorrow. I'll ask about the compression test, timing belt and PCV. I'm not going to give the OK on an engine swap based on "maybe there's something wrong in the engine". I put a lot of work into the front end of this vehicle already this spring, so it may end up...
  8. S

I think at the very least I'm going to get a second opinion on it's "totaled" status. In the short term, I'll probably get it towed back to my driveway. I don't have a garage or the facilities or tools necessary to swap the engine myself (nor the time, I'm working 50+ hours a week). But I could...
  9. S

My 2002 Sport Trac with 130k on it started misbehaving yesterday, stalling, engine stuttering and jerking so hard the truck shakes, light grey smoke out the tailpipe, oil coming out places it shouldn't (lots of oil out the breather hose into the air intake) and throwing codes for running lean...
  10. S

2001 sport trac 4.0 cold/rough idle to cut off

If the CEL is on, have you read the code? And what do you mean by "cold", your profile shows you're in FLA.
  11. S

serious roof racks: something to carry WEIGHT and Long items

The one I've been looking at getting is the Westin Outback O.E. Rail-mount model (16-4001). Supposedly good for 225 pounds of stuff, or 325 if you add the optional 3rd crossbar. Westin also has some nice but pricy aluminum cargo trays that mount to the Outback crossbars.
  12. S

Ranger over Sport Trac

The one thing you will feel is the downgrade to the 3.0 engine. It will not have quite the pickup that you're used to with the Trac. You should definitely do a real world test drive to be sure you can live with this trade off. Rangers ride choppier too, especially unloaded. My B4000 bounced over...
Back