Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

96 Explorer ... where is the speedometer cable located ?

I can't find it on mine either... :bsnicker::dunno:
  2. S

Upper oil pan removal

This is my 2 cents worth. I have posted it in a couple other threads but the question comes up from time to time because pulling the engine is so much work. The steps below explain how I initially pulled the ladder frame (upper oil pan) without pulling the motor. However, it is not really...
  3. S

98 4.0 sohc cold start idle problem, bad gas mileage

Leaking intake gaskets are a very common problem on this engine. The gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. There is a TSB about this problem.
  4. S

97 explorer death rattle queston

The oil pump pickup screen will catch a lot of broken pieces of plastic but this can also restrict oil flow leading to bigger problems. My oil pickup was so restricted it was hard to believe the engine survived. It's not that hard to pull the pan and check to be on the safe side.
  5. S

Trouble starting in colder weather (I have read the other posts). Need you're opinion

IAC problems are not usually temperature sensitive. I would start with the updated lower intake manifold gaskets. This is a very common problem identified in a TSB. Another example: Cold Weather Idle
  6. S

Cold Weather Idle

Check the tee connector that the PCV plugs into. The connector gets moved around when you R&R the intake manifold. It cracks very easily once the plastic gets old and is another common cause of vacuum leaks. I’m glad to hear the gaskets fixed the cold start problem. Isn’t it nice that the...
  7. S

Cold Weather Idle

An IAC may fail when it gets cold but my point is that once it fails an IAC usually doesn’t start working again when the weather gets warm. When an IAC fails it stays broken. Unfortunately, this is sometimes masked by the fact that the IAC is typically more active during a cold start. In...
  8. S

Cold Weather Idle

Did it fix the problem?
  9. S

Cold Weather Idle

IAC problems are not usually temperature sensitive. Replace the lower intake manifold gaskets using the updated Ford gasket set. It is a little more work but is much more likely to solve the problem.
  10. S

Ford Timing Issues

Several Ford Technical Service Bulletins (not recalls) document both problems. Neither problem is covered by warranty any longer but the TSB’s do provide some helpful guidance. The cold start problem is typically solved by replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets with the updated gasket...
  11. S

Cam Tensioner Fix - How Many Times?

The repair for this problem has gone through a few updates and consequently some engines did need more than one repair. Was your last repair before or after the most recent TSB updates?
  12. S

SOHC Timing Chain Tensioner Questions

There are two chains on the front of the engine. (Three if you have 4WD.) During the early stages of failure, the front cam chain makes noise at idle while the primary chain makes noise at about 2500 RPM. Failure of either tensioner can lead to interference and additional damage if the engine...
  13. S

SOHC serpentine squealing

Have you tried a GatorGrip socket?
  14. S

SOHC ...any suggestion

That is the primary chain. Unfortunately, you have more tensioner repairs in your future. If you wait until it fails, you risk damaging valves, heads, and pistons too. Spend the money to fix it now or spend a lot more later.
  15. S

HELP 4.0 SOHC upper pan removal

I previously posted this in another thread. It explains how I initially pulled the ladder frame without pulling the motor. However, it is not really worth the effort because after I got the ladder frame out, I ended up pulling the motor anyway. It was the only way to reinstall the ladder...
  16. S

SOHC help

Porsche and Mercedes have been using plastic timing chain guides for many years. Cost is certainly not the issue on their cars. The issue is avoiding the debris caused by metal-to-metal contact. Ford’s mistake was the type of plastic used in the original parts. The revised parts are still...
  17. S

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

Don't forget that is a torque-to-yield bolt and is designed to be used only once and then replaced. It is not a shelf stock item so it usually takes a day or two for the dealership to get one.
  18. S

97 explorer 4.0 sohc code P420,301,306

Antifreeze can also corrupt the 02 sensor and may be what caused the code P420. This code does not automatically mean the converter is bad. Fix the antifreeze leak first, then the misfire, and check the 02 sensor operation last. The P420 code may go away without replacing the converter if the...
  19. S

finally got rid of the rough idle...mostly

The PCV valve is in that mess of hoses wedged between the back of the intake manifold and the firewall.
  20. S

brown wire mod question

Yep, that makes sense. Those situations are similar to what I had in mind. I guess I just don’t get to do enough of it to bother with the mod… My wife wants to drive “her” Explorer to work on Monday and gets offended if I break it on weekends. To make matters worse, my son wants to drive...
  21. S

Drivers side front door latch for 97 Explorer

Try another dealer. They don’t all charge list prices. I recently paid $34.50 when I replaced mine. (Ford P/N 6L5Z*7821813*C) The new revised latch eliminates the earlier flaws like that #!%*& little spring that breaks.
  22. S

brown wire mod question

Isn’t 4auto essentially 2high as long as the rear wheels don’t spin causing it to engage 4high? What is the practical application that requires 2high instead of 4auto? What is the practical application that requires 2low instead of 4low? The only application I could think of for using...
  23. S

Engine won't crank

The engine might not start with a bad crank position sensor but it would still turn over.
  24. S

Project ExStang

Your friend must have a ’65 or later model. Ford did not make a fastback model of the ’64 1/2 Mustang. The SportsRoof (fastback) model was introduced in ’65 for the first full production run of the Mustang.
Back