Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Looking at a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5L

Geez this seems like a nightmare to me. I'm pretty sure the 2.3L is GDI and turbocharged but I can't say for sure it's "twin" turbocharged.. A used car dealer sure isn't going to know. So it looks like you need to have your valves cleaned first and then a catch can filter installed? What about...
  2. J

Do they make these Catch Can filters for the Explorer 2.3L Ecoboost? Or do you just buy a Catch Can for any 2.3L Ecoboost and it will work?
  3. J

What if it is in need of changing? It shouldn't be an expensive thing to do, or is it? If I'm willing to pay for a PTU fluid change, is the fact that it was burnt or sludgy indicative of problems looming? Thanks for the advise all of you on the 2.3L. I would have never guessed it to be such a...
  4. J

Might not be able to afford a 2017. Btw... what is MFT? They want $18,400 for both of the 2016's and they both are the same color (Ruby Red) and have about the same miles on them. That's about the top of our spending budget. One has slightly cleaner interior than the other (the 2.3L does)...
  5. J

Hey all, i’m going to look at a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT in the next couple days. It has 85k to 90,000 miles on it and seems pretty clean. I’ve read some horror stories about the throttle body but I’m sure this vehicle as well beyond that problem. I’ve read other mixed reviews of the vehicle but...
  6. J

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

majin1084: Thanks for the info. I got it done, but it was much more difficult than I expected. Tedious is more the word. My hands were cramped having to hold such small parts to finesse them into place. I ended up unbolting that slotted bracket the ball slides in to get the broken piece off...
  7. J

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

guys, I'm getting ready to do this repair. majin1084: you did a great job walking us thru this with the pix. Everyone keeps talking about needing a dremel. I can understand grinding the shoulders off of the pin, but can't you just take the star screws out to get to all of this and not have to...
  8. J

Differential Rebuild or Used? 02 Explorer Limited

Yes, that is so true. You can't always predict what will happen with a vehicle. I'm not worried about much going wrong my vehicle anymore. Heck, it's got 225K miles on it. Why wouldn't i need to replace the upper ball joints, or whatever? Things wear out. My left passenger window has somehow...
  9. J

Update: I hate it people don't follow up with their resolutions, so here is mine! Bought a used diff with 93k miles for $350. Installed for $250. My old diff had a blown pinion bearing with tons of backlash. There weren't any missing teeth from any of the gears, but the wear pattern wasn't...
  10. J

AH yes... it is simple. I was completely forgetting about the friction working against the gear. You helped me visualize it, so thank you! I just talked to my mechanic and he said once again that if it were him, he'd go with the USED diff. Though he's not afraid of rebuilding and setting a...
  11. J

I found a used diff with 93K on it from a 2003, but it has ABS on it. I could have sworn my ABS cables were on the hubs, so I need to check. It would have a 30day warranty. I would have to think that I could get another 60K on that diff easy. That's all I really need since I drive about 20K a...
  12. J

Ok. So that means the WORST of the noise isn't likely my Ring and Pinion since it's worse when I am in gear and moving. So what engages to make the noise that much louder and aggressive when I'm under load? He said if the Ring and pinion are toast, you'd be looking a lot of money and labor. I...
  13. J

Thanks 2Trux. So when under load, different things are engaged inside the differential, which means the ring and pinion are moving, the clutches, etc. And that is NOT the case if coasting in Neutral? If this is true, then when I'm coasting in neutral and i hear a rotational "scraping" noise...
  14. J

Oh, and the only way to see what's going on is the take the diff pan off right? The oil will drain out, then I can just remove back plate and everything will be sitting there in front of me. I would then be able to see how bad the ring and gears are. But then since I can't fix it myself, I'd...
  15. J

Yes!! Exactly! But my hugs are new all around. And even though I have no experience with real trucks, I have worked on 1/8th scale 4x4 RC trucks. Many of the same principles apply really. What I think the sounds is, because I can FEEL it, is the Pinion and Ring gear rubbing. That's exactly the...
  16. J

A fun new noise that I hear/feel seems to be something that is is fully rotation. Like a low vvvvrrrroooooommmmmm type of vibration or sound as I accellerate at low speeds. Like a tire rubbing, but that's not what it is. I can feel it. And my luck is that it's in the front. Feels like it. I have...
  17. J

That would be great, but I don't know how much time I have left on this diff, as it seems like it's getting worse by the week. It's getting to where i can't hear if talking on the phone and going 40mph because the roar is too loud. I don't have a spare vehicle, and I'm not a mechanic. I'm able...
  18. J

Guys... This is the kind of advice I was looking for! I think my diff is the 3.73 LS diff. Can I switch to an open diff? If so, do I have to have matching F/R? Will I lose AWD? 4WD? AWD is nice, but horrible MPG. Can I use a 3.73 diff from an 02-05 Mustang or F150? In other words, are all...
  19. J

Hey guys... my diff is roaring like crazy. Sounds horrible. Replaced the hubs, so it's not those. My mechanic said he checked the diff oil and there was plenty, but there was metal present. He said it's hard to know what is wrong without taking it apart. I need to spend as little as possible...
  20. J

Strange noise only when on the gas pedal...

I know what the problem is. It's the differential. It's leaking oil where the driveshaft connects. I've had new spiders installed once before, and I think Ford put a new diff in it at about 25k under warranty. So I'm hoping to find an honest shop who can replace what's needed and not...
  21. J

Replace Rear Shocks on 02 Explorer??

Ok, so I have new springs on the rear of my explorer and I think I need new front struts. If I already have new springs on the rear can I just remove the inner shock part of the the rear strut? Or do I have to replace everything again? And regarding the front strut, do I have to replace the...
  22. J

Ok, I'll sched a service. I'm hoping with a tranny that it doesn't always involve a huge cost. And it's likely not something I can do myself.
  23. J

Sorry, thought it was in my info. Guess not! 2002 Explorer Limited 4.0L SOHC. Or is it 4.6? Crap. I don't remember. It's a 6cyl and not Flexfuel. Yeah... I'm no help...
  24. J

Everyone talks about chirping or rattle noises when accelerating... and some say it's only when cold or at certian RPM's. My noise sounds sorta like the idle of a diesel engine, happens warm or cold, at any RPM or speed, and goes away the second you take your foot off the gas pedal. If I put...
  25. J

2002 Ford Explorer making grinding noise when coasting

Don't I know it. I don't have the means to press a bearing in propertly. I replaced the rear's once before and fouled one side up because my neighbor didn't have the perfect sleeve to press the bearing in, and we messed the bearing up. We got lucky on the opposite side. But the one we messed up...
Back