Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

2002 power steering trouble

Is your belt squealing? Also, the belt can slip after going through a puddle.
  2. D

2002 4.6l radiator change

(1) You gotta figure out a way to make the captive nut stay on the thin metal of the support (2) has to clear the tubes of the transcooler. Solve those two issues and your solution will work. I agree that the design of the condenser/cooler/radiator sandwich wasn't well thought-out for home...
  3. D

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Gotta use a cold-steel chisel to spread the pinch bolt.
  4. D

Front end humming diagnostic help

Left front wheel bearing. Gotta put all 4 in the air. Run at whatever speed the noise appears. Probe with your ear.
  5. D

Hum from rear starts at 25mph

Gotta put all 4 wheels in the air. Have a helper run it up to 30mph while you listen (stethoscope, big screwdriver, etc.). There's really no other way to diagnosis a "humming" sound.
  6. D

Wheel Hub

I believe Timken is actually built with SKF bearings as Timken doesn't manufacture ball bearings. My point is that Timken and SKF are identical. I personally don't trust MOOG - I've had a problem with the quality of their ball joints and I don't want to find out if their quality problems extend...
  7. D

Radiator Removal/Installation Manuals

There must be a big difference between the various years of 4.6 Explorers. The 2002 doesn't require the transcooler to be removed - suspended yes, removed no. And the condenser and radiator connect via sliding clips - slide the condenser to vehicle left and the radiator and condenser separate.
  8. D

Shuddering or thumping when 5r55w shifts,..is there a remedy

WTF was wrong? My eyes hurt and I fell asleep trying to read your post. So what was actually wrong with your transmission? You should be able two answer this in two complete sentences.
  9. D

Replace timing sprockets or not?

Romeo 4.6 V8, July 2002. Has 160,000 miles on it. Making the "diesel" sound on acceleration when warm. I'm going to order the CLOYES 90387SHX kit which does not include sprockets. But I'm hesitating as I'm wondering the wisdom of not changing sprockets. What say ye?
  10. D

Decoding VIN sequence number?

Thank you. Primary features actually. Very helpful - again, thank you.
  11. D

Did you try it? Did you understand my question?
  12. D

How do you decode the VIN sequence number? I need to know because ordering parts requires that you provide whether the motor is from before November 2002 or after November 2002. My sequence for a 2002 Explorer is b87300. 4.6 V8.
  13. D

Explorer VS. Tahoe

Confirmed my suspicion. You put 5000lbs on a 2000lb trailer, without eletric brakes, hit 4krpms which means you were trying to hit 75mph in 4th gear. And then you complain about the tow rating? So either you left out a lot of info or you dont know squat about towing. The Explorer is...
  14. D

Explorer VS. Tahoe

Why do you own an Explorer? All you do is bad mouth them. I dont think you know your butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to Explorers or towing.
  15. D

Weird annoying brake issue

Bleed the ABS module.
  16. D

2003 Explorer 4.6l - poor oil flow

Wow! I've never seen an oil filter disintegrate before. By chance, do you have the filter? It would be interesting to see what it looks like. Good job on tracking down the problem!
  17. D

2003 Explorer 4.6l - poor oil flow

Is the chain tensioner leaking? Actually, might be a good idea to hook up an oil pressure guage and see if the pump is doing its thing.
  18. D

02 Explorer stuck in 4wd

The auto-4wd will kick in if the tires are worn unevenly. Especially when turning.
  19. D

Front end making awful sound

Check your brake pads. And if your tires are worn unevenly, your automatic four-wheel drive may be kicking in.
  20. D

Front end

Replace the rears too.
  21. D

Front end

Sway bar links. Cheap from rockauto.
  22. D

4.10 or 4.56 on stock tire

3.73 to 4.10 is 10% change. 3.73 to 4.56 is a 22% change. Look at the gearing of a 5r55s/w transmission to get an idea of the effect. The V8s like to be sub-3k rpm - so 4.56 would give you a 65mph max cruise. I agree with your view of the explorer versus a truck - around here trucks fetch a...
  23. D

'03 Explorer XLT dies when braking

If it dies when coming up to a stop light - suspect the TCC. If it dies any time you step on the brakes when stopped and in park - suspect the brake booster.
  24. D

Bucking engine

There is a difference between bucking and misfire. Bucking is usually caused by a too lean condition, or some really bad fuel. Old sparkplugs cause misfires.
  25. D

4.6 timing chain question

Yea that is mostly a BS line of reasoning for liking Cast Iron over Aluminum. That's like not wanting to change from steam to internal combustion because those new-fangled gasoline engines work at really high pressures and you can't power them from wood along the trail. Neither the spacecraft...
Back