Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Clean your MAF

All, I cant beleive I have never been advised by FORD or my FORD buddies how important cleaning your MAF is. I finally did it this weekend (1996 XLT V8 since new) for the first time in over 200000 miles. What a difference this made. Especially since I had a K&N filter it's entire life and the...
  2. C

V8 '96 XLT Rear air issue

Yes I played with the vents but no luck..
  3. C

V8 '96 XLT Rear air issue

I've read a lot on the problems and fixes of the blend air door but haven't seen this one. My air up front works fine but the rear air doesn't blow thru the vents anymore. You can hear the blower working but no air is being pushed thru the vents. Is this just a blend door issue as well? Thx for...
  4. C

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

Replace.. You dont want to replace it with a two piece. Use the two piece it works fine and will last longer.. Cruz38
  5. C

Moog Ball joints- Tsuy, Funny that you mention this. I replaced my front end last year with Moog and was feeling good about everything till this past weekend. I took it to a shop for an oil change and the mech comes in and says "hey you need to replace all your ball Joints" I said your ****tin...
  6. C

Code 0401

DPFE and EGR Valve Well I had to replace the EGR Valve as well. I reset the computer and so far no Check engine light.. Thanks for all the help.. Cruz
  7. C

Code 0401

Doh! Geez, Thanks!! I completely forgot about being able to do that.. Cruz38
  8. C

Code 0401

DPFE Replacement on 5.0 Just to clear the air on replacing this on the 5.0's.. It is not as easy as doing it on the 4.0's because it is located at the rear of the engine and the screws are 11/32 locknuts that are hard to get to. I replaced mine yesterday 4/28/2010 and am waiting for the...
  9. C

Rear Main Seal Leak on 96 Explorer XLT

Oci? I think its incorrect to say that the leak is could be caused by poor or irregular maintenance.. I changed my oil every 3000 miles from the day I bought it and I have this same leak.. Just wear and tear and mileage....is my opinion. Cruz
  10. C

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

Theoretically speaking... These brakes do wear out. I just replaced mine at 170000 miles because they were cracked and chipped off in places.. This wasnt due to use but because of the heat that builds up in there.. Everyone should check these when replacing your rear brakes to do a thorough...
  11. C

Cabin Drain?

The problem went away after I fillled up the coolant in the radiator. Thanks surreal! Ed
  12. C

Cabin Drain?

I do have a sunroof but am sure that isnt the problem. I have no visible water in the cabin. I am having problems with losing coolant though so that may be the problem. I've been losing coolant the past couple of years and dont want to dig into the front of the engine to fix that gasket. Ed
  13. C

Cabin Drain?

I have been hearing some swishing inside my 96 XLT V8 Expl lately when I stop and start or turn from a stop. I dont have any visible drainage inside the cabin floor boards and am wondering if maybe a drain is clogged or something.. Anyone have a solution or similar experience? Cruz38
  14. C

i am fed up with this front end!!!

My Babys Tight!! Just wanted to report that my dealer found the culprit of my insanity! Yes, I finally gave in and took it to a new Dealer in the DFW area (Grapevine Ford) and their Mechanic found the problem.. My Transmission mount bolts!! One was gone and the other was about to fall out!. He...
  15. C

humm Ok I will check , but wouldnt the alignment go out of wack if those were loose? Ee
  16. C

Dude, I feel your pain. I have the exact same problem! I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints and control arms, inner outter tie rods, put new shocks and HP bushings. I also have replaced the rack and pinion. Stilll have this knocking when I drive over speed bumps, over things in the...
  17. C

BJ removal If you replace the Ball joint that means you replaced the control arm and you should get an alignment. AFter that if you put on shocks , you don't need to do it again. Replacing the shocks with standard replacements will not mess that up. Cruz
  18. C

BJ removal Yep , just bang it out.. dont damage the knuckle though .. Just want to say I'm so glad I did this. You will be too. Add some new shocks if you havent done that in 50,000 miles.. Quite a difference. My car rides so much smoother over bumps, driving this car is fun again.. Now if I...
  19. C

Front end noises

I fixed it!! It took a front wheel locking up but I found the problem when one of the brake Caliper bolts fell off and the assembly spun around and locked up the tire. It turns out both the bolts were loose and it was constantly rattling!! I tightened up all the bolts on both sides and with my...
  20. C

Front end noises

I am just about done with this issue. I have replaced the entire front end using the info on this forum. Upper, lower ball joints and control arms, innner outter tie rods and even the rack and pinion. Just this weekend I replaced the shocks but still have this damn knocking in the front when...
  21. C

answr I guess you could but you are able to get in on there by moving the lines. We've both been there.. Because of that and the accessibility I would suggest staying with it. Best of luck..
  22. C

Clunk when hitting a bump.

Radius Arm ? answer moved to other forum
  23. C

Bolt Replacement My alignment shop guy said that when they came off the line the setting with the immovable bolts was set from the factory. After the driving and loosening up of the ball joints they then get out of alignment and then the eliptical bolts are necessary to realign these monsters...
  24. C

Rear End Noise....

Rear end clutch pack If you have a limited slip differential you have whats called a Clutchpack on the gears that engages when you need it. (IE one wheel spinning) if things are working normally. When this goes out you can hear it moaning and it sounds like it is coming from the front end (My...
  25. C

Rear End Noise....

Possible problem It sounds like a problem I had. Mine was that I got lake water in the rear end after putting my seadoo in and it messed up my clutch pack in the rear end. It started making a horible sound turning in tight circles.. That was a $800 dollar job for a new clutch pack and...
Back