Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Fuel Pressure Question 1999 AWD 5.0

One quick question, when you are checking the fuel pressure, is vacuum connected or disconnected to the FPR?
  2. T

Rhytmic vicration and roaring noise from suspension

Little update. Went and bought some new front sway bar bushings and finally got rid of that God-Awful squeaking sound anytime I go over a decent sized bump! Also took the new tires I bought back to discount tire and had them re-balance them, they were slightly out of balance, but the vibration...
  3. T

Belt or Alternator? Or something else?

You can do a quick, rugged check to determine where the squeal is coming from. Just get yourself a couple socket extensions together and with the engine running, put one end of the extensions on the suspected culprit and the other to your ear. The squealing should be a bit louder through the...
  4. T

Belt or Alternator? Or something else?

Most likely the alternator bearings and brushes are going out. Try taking off the alternator and going to autozone or advance and have them test it out for you.
  5. T

Rhytmic vicration and roaring noise from suspension

This problem just started about a week ago. While at highway speeds above 60mph, I could hear what sounded like a roaring/growling noise coming from my right front area. I knew my tires were bad, the belt was starting to show on the inside of the tire (alignment is out), so I replaced them...
  6. T

Help me piece this puzzle together(99 AWD Mounty, no front driveshaft)

I've been told that the valve body might have junk in it causing the shifting issue, does that sound feasible? Only once have I noticed a flare when going from 2nd-3rd, I keep a close count on what happens and when. I think at this point, I will try a shift kit from transgo and see if that...
  7. T

Help me piece this puzzle together(99 AWD Mounty, no front driveshaft)

I bought this truck about a year ago for dirt cheap just because I needed something for a little while, but now I've decided I want to fix it up and keep it running to use for towing and hauling. It's a 99 AWD 5.0 Mountaineer, 160k miles and full of it's own issues. Most of these are common...
  8. T

Bad slippage, hesitation around 3rd gear, 5.0 awd trans

Well, the problem is fixed! I guess it just needed to work the new fluid thru the trans and filter. The truck feels so much smoother and responsive now, much more like a v8 truck should!
  9. T

Little update: I dropped the pan, changed the filter, drained the torque converter and refilled it today. The fluid was dirty, but there were no metal shavings, just some sludge around the magnet. Problem is still there. I'm starting to think this is a valve body issue, but if it's the...
  10. T

Cone air filter adapters

I'll try to get some tomorrow, been really busy this weekend with the family and trying to figure out my transmission issues, go figure, lol.
  11. T

Hey all. So I've had this truck for a few months now and I'm just starting to work locally a bit again and therefor driving the truck more. When I first got it, I noticed some hesitation issues going from 2nd to third, but they were intermittent. Now that I'm driving it often, the issue has...
  12. T

Cone air filter adapters

If you get the cone filter, or just an upgraded stock type filter (K&n, etc), you can alter your air box to allow more air in. I'll try and get some pics today so you can see how I did it. But basically you're taking the snorkel out of the front of the air box, enlarging the hole so that the...
  13. T

Exhaust

I'm using a magnaflow 2.25" dual out, 2.5" single out. The muffler is reversed(you can do this with all magnaflows), so it's a straight forward install. I just cut the tailpipe section off the muffler as well as the two inlet pipes about 2 feet in front of the muffler (I removed my secondary...
  14. T

99 Mountaineer, switches on the console (front and rear)?

No clue about the previous owner, this car was a repo. But who knows what happened to it while it was sitting in impound. The interior isn't too bad off really, just a lot of little things. Plus I'm missing the front driveshaft. It's a trade-off I guess, got the truck for a really cheap...
  15. T

Thanks for the info. It was starting to drive me nuts not having a clue what those missing pieces were. Now that I think about, maybe there are supposed to be cup holders in the back under the vents? I'll read up on your thread and when I get to the point of replacing the sound system, I will...
  16. T

A lot of the interior electronics were missing when I got this truck, so I'm just now getting around to figuring out what is what. It's the 5.0 AWD version and it appears that I'm missing what looks like a couple switches. One of them is in the front of the console arm rest (where you can store...
  17. T

302 exhaust, removed secondary cats and stock resonator

No inspections where I live ;) And if I need to put them back in for any reason, it won't cost me a dime since I can weld them back up for free. Anyhow, here's a short video of starting it up and giving it a quick blip of throttle. I'll try to get a better video tomorrow when it's light out.
  18. T

302 exhaust, removed secondary cats and stock resonator

So I'm on an extremely tight budget until my new job gets moving and I took the idea from Lounge Lizards post about removing the stock resonator and went a little further. Basically I just removed the stock secondary cats and resonator and just welded up straight pipes in their place and kept...
  19. T

2000 5.0 awd coolant leak

I just did the timing chain cover gasket on my 99 5.0 mountaineer a week ago. It's not a bad job at all. I would definitely inspect the timing chain, might as well replace it since you will have everything apart. The oil pan doesn't need to come off, you just need to remember the four bolts...
  20. T

today, resonator removal from exhaust system...

Hmmm, very interesting! I wonder how it would sound if you removed the two secondary cats as well? I may try this very thing before I spend the money on a performance muffler. I don't necessarily want more power, but would like a little more rumble for someone on an unemployment budget...
  21. T

No Start..Unless battery disconnected for at least 1 day

Typically, not always, a bad ECU will not throw any check engine codes. Best bet to rule out the ECU though is to hit up your local junk yard and pull the ecu out of an explorer in the yard with the same catch code as yours. Try this next time it cranks but won't start. Push the gas pedal...
  22. T

Hello explorer owners i need help

To check for vacuum leaks, just get a can of brake or carb cleaner and spray it over all your vacuum lines, section by section while the engine is running. What you are listening for is a jump in idle RPM. If you do get an increase in idle after spraying a section, then you know that line needs...
  23. T

No Start..Unless battery disconnected for at least 1 day

I'm wondering if perhaps you have a leaking injector. Have you checked them to see? Next to that, I would start checking your sensors one by one. When you say that it will randomly crank sometimes, what exactly do you mean? It randomly starts? Randomly turns over, but sometimes it won't?
  24. T

Engine braking while coasting?

Has it done this since new, or only recently has it started this?
Back