Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

sounds like supercharger under hood first min of driving

Sounds like the fan clutch. My 91 had the same noise for a while. Sounded like a Cesna taking off. I replaced the fan clutch and it is fine now. Easy job to do if you get the wrench set (about $20.00 @ Pep Boys) that is made to remove the fan from the clutch.
  2. B

Uh oh pinging/rattleing/knocking

My '91 did the same. I had the same problem with my '91. I tried cleaning the MAF and all the other normal things and got nowhere. I ran a can of Seafoam through a vacuum line into the motor and it does not ping at all anymore. Also dumped a can into half a tank of gas and it idels much better...
  3. B

Just tried Sea Foam for the first time,

I have a ’91 E/B. I bought it used and have had trouble with it pinging since I got it. I have tried everything under the sun to get it to stop. A few weeks ago I saw an old thread about Seafoam. I have never had much luck with that kind of stuff but I saw several people saying how good...
  4. B

Help with code 14

While trying to troubleshoot a rough idle I found that my '91 is giving a code 14 in the engine off test. Something about ignition pick up. Can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced? I’m not very knowledgeable about electronic ignitions.
  5. B

Where to buy Seafoam Products ?

I have seen lots of threads saying good things about Seafoam products. Does anyone know who carries them in the Los Angeles, Ca. area?
  6. B

Looking for good Mech. in Torrance, Ca.

Does anyone know of a good , honest shop in the Torrance area in Ca. I am not happy with the one I have been useing.
  7. B

'91 auto transmission question

No Fwd. in ANY gear. No D , 1,2 Also, it was in the shop last month to have a leaking front seal replaced. Trans. was removed. They also replaced the torque converter. They said the bad seal had been rubbing on the T/C and it need to be replaces. I remember seeing a thread about this .Could...
  8. B

Fwd. completely gone today. I came out tonight to drive home from work and I now have NO Fwd. at all. Does this still sound like the leaking servo problem ?
  9. B

Thanks I wll check my local dealer tomorrow. Thanks for all the Info.
  10. B

"double lip" seal ?? Can I go to a Ford dealer and buy just the new seal or do have to by a whole rebuild kit or what ? and BTW, great thread and Pics on the rebuild...
  11. B

Reverse ok ? In my case reverse feels fine and grabs right away.
  12. B

The automatic Trans. in my '91 EB has just developed a new problem. When I first put it in drive it will not engage right away. It’s like it is still in neutral until I give it some gas for a few seconds. It feels like it has to build up pressure first. Reverse is fine and after it is in...
  13. B

'91 missing , not plugs or wires ???

The coil seems to be fireing fine. I will be changing the fuel filter and checking the pressure today.
  14. B

'91 missing , not plugs or wires ???

My 91 has started missing real bad. I changed the plugs and wires :confused: and it made no diffrence. The only thing strange I did notice is that the back plug on the pass. side looked oil fouled. Anyone have any goog ideas on where to look next ??? :confused:
  15. B

Whta's up with Fan Clutch

Ford Fan clutch I got tired of screwing with the aftermarket clutches and went to my local dealer and got a Ford fan clutch last week end. I don't know how long it will last but it was worth the $80.00 just because of the reduced noise. It also looks like my truck is running a bit cooler...
  16. B

Help with A/C problem

I don't think it's leaking I checked the output Temp. at the vents and it is cooling down to the Temp. range that the book says it should. It looks to me like it is just not blowing enough air into the truck to cool it . The speed switch for the blower seems to function but it feels like it...
  17. B

Help with A/C problem

My A/C has never really cooled the truck very well. I had most of it replaced when it was converted to the new type of freon about a year ago. It seems to get cool ,but I think it just not blowing enough air through it. Is there a way to tell if the blower itself is running at full speed or...
  18. B

engine sounds like a hurricane ?

Just fixed same Prob. on mine I had the same Prob. on mine. When I changed out the fan and fan clutch it completly went away. I always described mine as sounding like it was a turbo-Prop. plane taking off as I took off from a stop. I went back to a stock Ford fan clutch. I head that the...
  19. B

What seats will fit my 91 ??

I am looking for a replacement drivers seat for my '91 E/B and not having much luck. Does anyone know for sure what other year of seats will fit in a '91 ? Mine are Tan , cloth..
  20. B

Used X parts in S. Calif. ???

Does anyone know of a junk yard that has Explorers in the Los Angeles area ? I broke the drivers seat on mine and I would like to by a used one if I could ...
  21. B

EGO sensor on '91

I looked at the codes when the "check engine" light started comming on. It only comes on after about 30 miles of Fwy driveing and will usally come on while going down hill ? When I turn the engine off the light will stay off when restarted,but I found a code 41 in the Mem.
  22. B

Intake manifold retorqueing help

I have read all the post about retorqueing the intake manifold , but on my '91 I can't seem to get on them. Whats the secret ? Does something have to be removed ?
  23. B

EGO sensor on '91

I keep getting a code 41 on my '91 xlt w/4.0 . The book says its the EGO sensor. Can anyone tell me where this sensor is on the '91 ? I saw one discription that said it was just in front of the Cat. converter, but I don't see it.
  24. B

Fan Clutch question ?

OK, When might I Expect to see the fan NOT engaged ? So I can be sure the clutch is working ok ??? I don't understand what the point of the fan clutch is at all. It seems to me that if it has a clutch, there is some condition that it should not be engaged ?
  25. B

Fan Clutch question ?

With the motor off the fan turns freely. No mater how cold it is the fan seems to be engaged. After looking today , I see that the fan was replaced with a plastic fan. I think that is why I get all the extra noise. I guess my question is , When the motor is cold like just been started on a 42...
Back