Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 7

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I’m not sure where to direct you to read up on IAT locations. I looked for the kenne bell writeups on Don Lasota’s site, but looks like they are no longer listed. I know Don directed me to move mine before he tuned my ranger. The eec is already set up to pull timing based on iat. You just want...
  2. 7

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I would also suggest moving your IAT to after the supercharger. The gen 2 lightning IAT2 is a plug and play in the explorer harness. You will have to compensate in the tune, of course. The non-intercooled kenne bells build heat ridiculously fast under boost. Without a bypass, it doesn’t allow...
  3. 7

What size is the crank pulley you’re adding? From the pulley ratio you posted, I assume 6.25” ? Chris
  4. 7

Lol, its certainly not a daily anymore. Currently sitting with the supercharger off and intake taped up waiting for the fabricator to finish my inlet. (Fast, cheap, and well done; pick any two) Pulling the front plate will be easier at least. I’ll try to get to it sometime this week...
  5. 7

I went out to the shop to measure the snout support, and came to the realization that you were talking about the whole front plate. I will remove mine and trace it for you if you are actually building one. I don’t want to waste that much time and effort if it wont get built. Let me know if...
  6. 7

Looking good Blown, you’re gonna have yours done before I do. I can measure the EE unit for you. It is not useful for the KB though. Chris
  7. 7

He’ll have to shorten the snout, there is absolutely no room to shift the blower rearward. As I demonstrated with pics earlier, the inlet manifold is right against the firewall. Modding the manifold may not be the best idea anyway. My fabricator didn’t want to modify the factory cast inlet...
  8. 7

Likewise, since I had a freshly rebuilt kenne bell 2.2 sitting for 3 years prior to my current build. I’ll be in the market for another once this one is installed too, lol. Chris
  9. 7

That pic makes the pulley clearance look way tighter than it is. The hood has a good bit of rise in the middle. I was able to close the hood over the kenne bell and see it from underneath. Even with the 185mm drive pushing it an inch and a half forward of the belt, and the big dodge 3.25” 7 rib...
  10. 7

In the latest pics? A long ways. Some rough math, fox mustang uses a 315mm drive, sn95 uses a 270mm drive. Explorer setup is roughly 5mm shorter than sn95. Lightning manifold is designed for a 270mm drive. F150 to exploder = 315-(270-5) = 50mm Drive length for f150 manifold on explorer 270mm -...
  11. 7

Got a few hours to work on my setup this weekend. Bolted the Lightning discharge to the compressor and took some pics showing where it ends up. Here's the compressor sitting on the lower intake without a spacer. Note that the rear corner of the compressor is actually sitting on the fuel...
  12. 7

I’ll snap some pics with the kenne bell discharge next time I’m home. I think firewall clearance is going to get very tight with a taller lower/ the compressor higher. The firewall kicks out as you can see in my pics. I’ll get some measurements from back of case as well, since yer inlet could be...
  13. 7

O yah, forgot I took some pics for you. Thats the dodge 185mm drive with dodge 7rib 3.25 pulley. However, the compressor is set up in that pic for alignment with a cobra 141mm drive. Within a mm or two anyway, best i could do with a straightedge and caliper. I just bought a 141mm drive with 10mm...
  14. 7

My ranger has a ridiculous amount of hood clearance, I’m sure the ex hood is similar. A box r is tall for a mustang, but they have very little hood clearance. My mockup last weekend had the EE discharge bolted to the lower gt40, with the kenne bell sitting on top. I bolted the stock throttle...
  15. 7

PM sent. I was just rereading the thread and noticed youve been running the equations for a 2.1L compressor. What you’ve got isnt a 2.1. They have a completely different front cover. Thats an old opcon/autorotor compressor. That style could be 1.5L, 1.7L, 2.0L, or 2.2L. F150 kits were either...
  16. 7

Well, I'm throwing in the towel on my attempt. I spent all afternoon and evening tearing the M-90 off my ranger and mocking up with the kenne bell setup. The lightning lower manifold just isn't going to work for my intentions. Issues: On my 97 motor, the fuel regulator is actually in the way...
  17. 7

I think your boost will be higher. I’m at 3500 feet, and the formula works with the 14.7, not 12.9. Chris
  18. 7

Actually 6.0” crank is correct for explorer 5.0. 5.85” is stock fox mustang. 6.5” is fox thunderbird and F-150. Yeah, those pulleys won’t help you much. I’ve never seen a 4 1/8, low boost with the 6.5 crank I guess. 2 1/4 is more for KB 1.5 or just being stupid, lol. Chris
  19. 7

From Cougar5.0 on corral: Formula has been within 1psi on my kenne bell and on the EE magnusson. Gives a very good idea of what to expect Chris
  20. 7

Equation has worked well on my thunderbird. Theres an efficiency factor not listed there, dependent on setup. Believe mine is in the .9-.95 range Pulleys go up to 4” on the 10mm 6rib. Hood clearance is the issue there. Chris
  21. 7

Should be about right. I was 8psi with 5.85 lower and 3” upper on my car. Thats a 2.1 though, not sure how the 2.2 compares. Is that snout support for a 302 or 351? Not thrilled to hear the 270mm drive is used on F150. In that case, I’ll be quite interested with how the drive mods turn out...
  22. 7

Made it home this weekend. Snapped a few pics of the EE kit belt setup while I was fighting with the tune on my dakota. The drivers side pulley is a smaller pulley in factory idler location. The passenger side is added with the front plate. This pulley setup gives decently good belt wrap, even...
  23. 7

The saleen mustang 2.8KB build is the successful drive shortening I’ve seen, IIRC. However, the machining and fabrication in that build is insane. Way over the top of my skills and funds
  24. 7

I bought the lightning manifolds for the discharge. The intake just might work as well, but would just be a minor convenience. Building a discharge requires a ton of precision and strength, as it controlls pulley alignment and angle, and also serves as the mounting for the kit. The inlet just...
  25. 7

I understand why you’re using the f150 lower. When you said accessories, i thought you were refering to using the F150 FEAD instead of dealing with the shorter Explorer FEAD.
Back