Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Valve job, rebuild or replace engine 140k

Well, I decided to just change the manifold gaskets since i had them already. No change. Still low vacuum. Good thing is this time the engine light came on the plug still looked fine and was not seized or hard to get out. Gonna test the egr tonight. And take of the manifold and check rocker...
  2. T

Its steady at idle.no jumping. More concermed with something internal Wrong or timing chain etc.... ive tried forever to find a leak and cant.
  3. T

13.5 hg vacuum Ok, finally did the vacuum test. Its low. 13.5 hg at idle. Go's up a little with reving and then go's back down after 2-3 seconds when i let it idle again. I don't know exactly how to read it but I know its low. Don't know how ford missed this one. Anyone?
  4. T

idea I'm wondering if one of these things I did fixed the issue but the anti fouler sleeve on the spark plug set off the code? I've been scared to take it off because its near impossible to get off when it fouls out. I may just have to take the risk and take it off. The plug was not even...
  5. T

Nothing Sprayed carb cleaner and then propane all around and nothing. No leaks from what I can see :(
  6. T

thanks for the reply. Yes, I changed the coil a while back. Actually brand new coil pack. I will check for a manifold leak again though. I should have a vacuum tester in the mail today too. I have new gaskets I had ordered anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will be it. The other clue to...
  7. T

Yes, cylinder 5 misfire again. I really wonder if I can trust the results ford found. Anyone with any ideas let me know. Thanks
  8. T

Well 130 miles and the check engine finally came back on. Misfire is back! Figured. Im looking for a bridge to jump off :)
  9. T

wow, nice work streetrod. That is impressive!
  10. T

I just re-read the invoice. They called it a Rel. injector flow test. I don't think they would have taken the manifold off to noid test the injectors. Too time invasive. update: found it! pretty cool. And the pwr bal test was prob something like this: These techs probably didn't even...
  11. T

ya, never heard of it either. The way he explained it was to make sure the injector was firing fully and correct pattern etc.... I still don't get it. Anyway, I just listened to the injector again and it sounds about the same as the others. Not able to meter it unfortunately because its...
  12. T

Fuel injector connector does make sense. Dealer says they did a fuel Dye test though and they tested ok. Gonna go listen to the injectors again in a bit. Ill try and meter a couple too.
  13. T

thinking maybe its because of overheating issue that seems solved. But it did overheat a couple times in last few months. Only affected this cylinder though. Weird.
  14. T

nice Ya, I like those injector plugs much better. I know I have a broken one too. They were all brittle. I have some like that on my bmw and love them. Hoping to get this thing figured out soon. Wife wants her truck back. I don't know why but I still think its a vacuum issue or...
  15. T

thanks Streetrod. I tested the spark on that cylinder and its sparking great. The plug indeed was fried. Black and the entire top was gone. I'll post a pic in morning. I went ahead and replaced all 3 sparks on that side of the engine tonight. I'll leave the wire as I have them switched...
  16. T

back from the dealer. Still no real answer! Good things according to them: good compression(0% dev), IDS test, fuel system/pressure,reliable comp test(cyclinder test). Bad: -power balance test showed cylinder 5 down 20%. Figured this though. -spark plug broken -Quote to clean MAF and...
  17. T

Hi - soon to be 03 explorer owner

Congrats. 5k sounds good considering the newer trans and engine. Love my explorer. I cry when she is broken down.
  18. T

thanks Thats actually good advise. Thanks
  19. T

update Still no conclusion. Picked it up from the shop and I'm gonna check some things: clean iac, test coolant temp sensor, inspect rockers and valve springs. Check all vacuum lines and maybe test for vacuum. Clean fuel filter or test fuel pressure. After that I'm at my end I guess. I'm...
  20. T

Intermittent No Crank/No Click/No Start

sounds like a good idea. Its possible the starter itself is bad or was installed wrong too. Unless theres another electrical gremlin hiding somewhere signs still point to starter to me. But if someone else did the work I'd take it back and make them figure it out.
  21. T

dealership diag Thinking of bringing it to the dealer for a diag. One thing I'm thinking is that when I had the tranny rebuilt last year maybe they missed a vaccum hose or something. It seemed to start this shortly after. Repair shop said by reading the spark plug and all the symptoms and...
  22. T

thanks guys! I'm fairly mechanical, just not engine rebuild mechanical. Brakes, oil, tranny changes.Water pumps, radiators...that sort of thing. I don't mind taking the valve cover off just don't know what I'm looking for. I assume one will look different than others if its broke though...
  23. T

update: Valve job, rebuild or replace engine 140k My wife explorer only has 145k and the engine needs major work. I'd tried everything I could my self to get it going but not luck. Shop says $750 to pull the engine and then machine shop will charge as needed. Up to $800 most likely depending on...
  24. T

Clean or not to clean transmission pan

I've heard of a few people saying not to clean your tranny pan during fluid change. I guess the logic is that some of that metal gunk is actually good for your tranny somehow. I myself have seen a couple trannies go downhill really quick after changing the fluid completely and cleaning it out...
  25. T

update-GONE BAD!!!diag/replace of fuel injector?

Update. Code was still on and a slight misfire. Did a compression check and found some differences in cylinders. Ran a can of k&w head gasket repair through it and it seems worlds better! Code still gone. Hopefully that does it.
Back