Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

What is this switch for?

Ditto on shutting it off when you have a trailer on.
  2. J

Surge when coming to a stop? A tranz problem?

I don't know on problems. Can't be good. If your fluid was that bad you might put some seafoam in it and run it for a few hundred miles then change the fluid again. You might just have a dirty valve sticking a bit and seafoam would clean it up.
  3. J

Surge when coming to a stop? A tranz problem?

I had a 01 crown vic that did that. Valve body O ring was leaking slightly. Basically caused the tranny to hold second gear until right before you stopped and it would learch forward right before it finally went to first gear. IE kind of lugged the engine for a split second and gave the...
  4. J

Headlight Help

Almost a funny story. Problem is fixed. Prior to the post I had my 17 year old son check all the fuses and make sure none were burned. We didn't have a manual so he pulled them all one at a time and put them back. Fuses were good so I bought a head light. Still didn't work so I posted here...
  5. J

Headlight Help

Thanks. I will take a look tonight. Maybe I will get lucky and it is just a fuse. Thaks also for the link to the manual. The truck din't come with one and I didn't find it searching the site. Must have missed it.
  6. J

Headlight Help

My 2003 explorer sport driver side head light quit working. Figured the bulb went out so I replaced it. Still doesn't work. The passenger head light works fine. All the marker lights work fine. No power to the drivers side head light. Are the head lights driven from two different power...
  7. J

What to do?

I have a 98 explorer sport. Has the 4.0 with the front and rear timing chain. My son got hit in the passenger side. Insurance is totaling it but the payout is good. I can either buy it back and get it fixed or buy another one and let the insurance take the one I have. Question is when did...
  8. J

Tran Fluid

I looked at some of the forum and looks like various responses on fluid type. Questions, I have a 98 explorer sport. No books came with it. What tranny does it have and does it require mercon V? Does the converter have a plug so it can be drained? It is the 4.0 SOHC AWD.
  9. J

What did I buy

Woodhouse Ford in Blair Nebraska. They are one of the largest dealers in the country. I have 3 fords and would recommend them for service and sales. Check out www.woodhouse.com 200 hundred acres of cars and trucks.
  10. J

What did I buy

The solution: Took it to a ford dealer. They said bank 1 was off one notch in timing. Charged me $370 to tear it down, time it, check the tensioners and put it back together. They said my tensioners looked good. They said it appears someone tore it down because it looked like new head...
  11. J

What did I buy

I cut them off. They were bad. Numerous loose chuncks. Still runs bad. Starting to lean toward timing. How can I prove it? FYI, busting the junk out of the catalyst, the drivers side was dark black and the passenger side was real light gray. Both cats were garabage and would have been...
  12. J

What did I buy

Latest updates: The mechanic I took it to here in Omaha said it had a intake leak causing it to run rich. He thinks it was doing that for a while killing the catalyst. I have driven it a little more now. It idles perfectly smooth in park but it does it at 900 to 1000 rpm. It won't accelerate...
  13. J

What did I buy

I took it to a shop in town here and they said there was a intake leak and the cats were plugged. Sound reasonable? I had them fix the intake leak. It ran better with the intake vac leak fixed but still not good. I will take the cats off and see what that does. Are these known for plugging...
  14. J

What did I buy

Yes on the sohc. The exact wording from the dealer shop is road tested. ran eec test. codes p0133 and p0156. pinpoint tested, monitored eec, power balanced. Mechanical concerns, timing chains have jumped. Recommend engine How good would it idle if it slipped a notch in timing. The...
  15. J

What did I buy

Hi all, new to the site. Wish I would have joined the site before I bought. Just picked up a 98 EX sport. 100K miles. Nice and clean but according to a ford dealer in Columbia MO. it has jumped timing. I knew this when I bought and I paid a grand for the truck. It idles perfect but...
Back