Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Why I am having trouble buying a new Explorer

Touche. That's an '04 though, and it's powered by squirrels. A much simpler vehicle than this generation. The latest BMW was a lease that just ended, nothing wrong with it at all over 3 years. I just checked the VIN on the middle one last week. It made it to 168,000 miles and is sitting in...
  2. W

For me, that would just be trading one showstopper for another. Our kids are approaching their teen years and we want their friends traveling with us more than we want them traveling with their friends. So, 3 rows is a must. That's the pot calling the kettle black, a bit. Explorer predicted...
  3. W

Rumors are strong that they are bringing the Wagoneer name back as a 3-row SUV larger than the JGC. Not for a few years, though.
  4. W

As a counterpoint... Over the 4th of July holiday, I took a huge piece of something in my right rear tire immediately as I was exiting Glenwood Springs, Colorado eastbound into Glenwood Canyon - while towing a trailer. 4 hours from home. This is not a good place to lose a tire; there is...
  5. W

2017 Explorer Info?

Also of note for the 2017s, for those considering a Sport. The upgraded stereo previously available only on the Platinum model is included in package 401A. LED fog lights are either standard or in 401A - I forget which, but everyone gets 401A so it's no matter.
  6. W

Steering shaking when braking

+1. I've never heard that from a person not trying to sell me new brake rotors.
  7. W

Steering shaking when braking

I believe this condition results mainly from light to medium brake application over extended periods, where the rotors and pads are allowed to get extremely hot. In Colorado we have lots of very long descents, at relatively high speeds, on highways. I-70, for example, gives back 2400 feet of...
  8. W

Took my 1st test drive of a 2016 Sport

Over on the BMW forums, this brand of extended warranty seems to be the most highly regarded. Maybe you want to go over to Bimmerfest and search on it. If I were considering a long-term BMW ownership, I would start here.
  9. W

Mine is a 2013 535. In terms of reliability, it's been excellent. Only one trip to the shop since August of 2013, because the computer forgot the date. BMW changed the 5 series philosophy for this generation. My last one, which was a 2005, was a dedicated sport sedan differing from the 3...
  10. W

I know - I'm sort of struggling a little myself, here. We've been a 3-car family for a long time now, with my wife driving something good for the young kids, me driving a BMW sedan, and an old Explorer between us. My latest BMW has been underwhelming and it's a lease ending in August. Both...
  11. W

I always say that the most important car on the test drive is the one you drove up in, because the new car's characteristics will be amplified inasmuch as they're different from what you are used to. You mentioned that you drove to the test drive in an old Jeep, but at least twice you also...
  12. W

Help with wheel offset please!!!

That offset will push the wheel out 9mm further than stock. The 275 series tires are about 20mm wider than the 255s, if my calculations are correct, so you'd have 10mm on each side. I think you're in the clear on the inside, since the offset and width differences wash to within a millimeter...
  13. W

New Recall for 2014-15 Explorers

Ah, I see. It may have been more accurate had they said "it could cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle" since it doesn't seem like the steering system itself would be compromised. But who am I to say...
  14. W

New Recall for 2014-15 Explorers

Interesting. Poorly welded rear suspension toe links sound like a sort of thing that should be fixed - but I'm struggling to figure how you'd lose your steering if one of them gave.
  15. W

How many actually own an Explorer

I see your point, though the Ecoboost isn't exactly small at 3.5L. I'm OK with it, but I would not, for example, feel comfortable in one of the new Volvo XC90s that has a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine both turbocharged and supercharged to make 316HP. I can see that kind of tech showing its colors...
  16. W

You can't get that V8 in an Expedition either, though, so you can see which way they're going.
  17. W

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

How did that go? I also have a Yakima Skybox, and I was concerned that the OEM crossbars might sit a little low. My thought was to have a film put onto the roof to absorb the scratches (like you'd use as a rock mask on front), but by the time I do that I may as well buy aftermarket bars...
  18. W

I'm an owner of a gracefully aging 2004 XLT as well as a prospective buyer of a 2017 Sport. My BMW sedan is a lease that ends in August; I'm thinking abut consolidating the two cars into one.
  19. W

Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait?

I disagree. The OP, emphasis added: The guy is going through his decision process, explaining how he arrived upon the Explorer as a target, and is asking us how we did the same. All of those topics you mentioned come into play there.
  20. W

Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait?

I'm on my 3rd BMW right now, but I'm not inspired to get a 4th. There is not the same difference in features, quality, and performance between BMWs and comparable domestic cars that there used to be, and as my girls get closer to college I'm more scrupulous about car expenditures than I was...
  21. W

Google result showing 2017 prices before Ford website?

Hmm. Chrome on a MacBook Air here. Might be a setting. Anyway, here's what we're looking at: *************
  22. W

Google result showing 2017 prices before Ford website?

I think he's talking about the pricing summary on the right, not the search hits.
  23. W

Is synthetic oil worth it?

I was not talking about an Explorer. ;)
  24. W

Is synthetic oil worth it?

I was right there with you until you had to write that last sentence. Your 3500 mile interval is one you chose arbitrarily, or more likely based on heavy socialization from oil companies and Grease Monkey. You are strongly implying that people who wait longer than you do are damaging their...
Back