1998 A/C fan only works full blast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 A/C fan only works full blast

Hummerford

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 E.B.
I have a 1998 E.B. with the automatic temp control panel. Recently, it only allows me to select "high" aka max blast to get any cooling air at all. The bottom line is it is all or nothing.

I took the unit out and reconnected everything which resulted with the same problem.

Is it possible a bad resistor somewhere?

Thanks,
DT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bougt my 97 Sport and I have the same issue. From what people are telling me it is the Blend Door and it costs anywhere from $800.00 - $1200.00 to get it fixed at a dealership as they have to pull the entire dash out. You can do a search on this site under "Blend Door" and there will be a lot more information on this.

Just found this. Even better.... Dead Link Removed

Yep, I was just going to suggest my previous post. I still think that we all should start hounding Ford Customer Service until we get our recall.

Problem solved Bad resistor

I read in the manual that replacing the resistor (~$50) would solve the problem.

On a 1998 E.B.

The fan would work on high because it bypassed the resistor. The resistor is located on the left side of the engine, near the firewall, at about the 4 o'clock position from the heater fan.

I was forced to remove the overflow tanks for the radiator and the windshild to get to the resistor. It took about 15 minutes to remove these pieces and another piece I was not familiar with. All in all it took about 30 minutes to remove and reinstall the resistor before I could check it.:) :usa:

My AC on my 96 went over the summer, and I had the blower and resistor changed and it is fine now. You may want to look into that,

HummerFord - Glad to hear is was a simple fix!

Back