Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2003 Explorer in need of work, no idea what is wrong though

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Exia989, May 7, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Exia989

Exia989 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer NBX V8
    So recently, my explorer has developed what i originally believed to be a bad wheel bearing. However, lately at certain speeds, my car has started to make this noise that suggests that something is vibrating severely, and causes a very loud droning (not sure if appropriate description) at speeds around 50, and even worse at 75. I am close to taking it to a dealership just to see if they can diagnose it as I have absolutely no idea what could be to blame.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. fedyfedz

fedyfedz Active Member

City, State:
    Suffolk County, NY
    2002 limited v8
    yeh you need new wheel bearings

4. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Orchard Park, N.Y.
    '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    Here is a link below to do a self test of your wheel bearings to see if any are bad. If you are not able to do the self test yourself for what ever the reason, you will need to take your vehicle to a mechanic you really trust for diagnosis, but stay away from dealerships. You will pay a lot more at a dealership for a repair.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7560141_test-bad-wheel-bearings.html