• Register Today It's free!

5.0---A/T to M/T

XLT_66

Reaction score
City, State
GO TEXAS TECH
Year, Model & Trim Level
P.O.S. Mitsu Diamante
Today, the tranny started slipping. It only happened a couple times, but like when i went around a corner, it dropped into neutral, then bumped back into 1st real hard. Like a neutral drop almost, except out of nowhere. My tranny has 135,000 on it, and i jsut got it flushed and new filter.

I searched for about an hour and come up with a parts list, but everyone that has done the swap from an auto to manual has been an older model, or has a 4.0 ohv. I have the 5.0 V8 and i don't know if it is possible. Witht eh 4.0, they make a stick model for the car, so i think it is pretty bolt up. I don't think they make a 5.0 manual, so i would think that it would be much harder. Does anyone know if it being a 5.0, that it would be a much harder swap? Also, my guess is that it would be really hard to find parts because there are no 5.0 manuals that i know of. What other manual trannys from ford would fit, that would not be crazy expensive, and that i might be able to find in a junkyard around town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I have not researched it yet, I will be doing it to my X one of these days. My first thoughts went towards looking at Mustangs and F-150's and seeing what the specs are on the vehicle itself, then go from there. Finding which one will mount/hook-up alright, your shifter position in respect to the seats and console, drive shaft length, etc.

It's going to be a project that I just haven't had time for, plus my X is still my daily driver and I can't afford the downtime yet for 'figuring it out'...

yea i dont know what vehicle i could use a tanny out of, and i don't know what computer i would use because i would have to get a new one. Most poeple with the 4.0 just find the computer outo f the same truck with the manual, for us, i don't know if we need an explorer one, or if a mustang one of whatever would work...

I need someone with a lot of knowledge about all of this...

there is a 5.0 5 spd, it was just never offered in the X. T5 from a 88-95 'stang is what youre looking for, and consider it EXTREMELY custom as i have never heard of anyone doing it (so far). by all means, this doesnt mean that it cant be done, just that you will be on your own, with no outside tips/suggestions.

The hardest part I see with the project is :

1) Getting the correct shift height. I don't want a regular tall shifter like comes with the manual X's.

2) Getting a driveshaft to fit, or having one cut down and rewelded.

I have only met one person who could truly weld a driveshaft evenly to hold over 400 horsepower, and unfortunately - he's no longer with us...

The computer I believe I can find a way around that with all the different year Mustangs, Explorers, f-150's, etc...

im thinking have someone burn a chip with a tranny delete program, and use the stock X computer. you cant use mustang 'puter without changing out a BUNCH of stuff. dont really know, just thinking outloud.

the driveshaft, i wouldnt worry about. there are 2 places around here that do custom drivshaft work that holds up. helped a friend build a sand drag truck in high school, had local shop lengthen stock driveshafts, and they were the only thing that DIDNT break on that rig... BTW it had a 550hp 468 rat with TH400, and divorced 205 TC.

I will call Ken Payne from Ford-Trucks.com and Motorhaven.com. He sells Diablo's, Superchips, and just about any other part. He can fill me in on the chip. I thought about that earlier, but I haven't ever seen a chip that could exclude the tranny codes all together.

at least we know who to go to about the driveshaft - :)

Guess it's time to measure a couple of trannys' for the shift length...

James T:

Other than what cobra said, what else would be extreamly custom. If i went ahead and did this, where do you think i would have the biggest problems?

ummm...... you may have to re-fab a cross member for it, and you may have to make some custom console stuff for the shifter, other than that, and the computer thing, i really have no idea.

How hard do you think it would be to fab a new cross member? that is a pretty big peice, so do you think i could just modify the one I have, or would i really need to have a new one made?

really no way to tell until you get the tranny in there and supported, then take measurements.

Finding a 5 speed to bolt up is the LEAST of your worries! If the 5spd came behind a 5.0L V8 or 351W, it will bolt up to your Explorer v8.

The biggest obstacle you will have is replacing or recalibrating the OBD-II computer system. Auto and manaul computers have different RPM and idle speeds.

Good Luck.
Al

are you saying that basically i should not do this? I am only 17, but my dad knows a great deal about all of this, and i have friends who work in mustang shops and have access to any tool i could imagine. When it comes to the whole computer thing, i don't konw what i would do. IS there anyone that for when the time comes, would be able to help out on that, like what would i have to modify and what not? I am in the asking a lot of questions mode, the tranny is slipping more and more daily....

Back