• Register Today It's free!

A/C Issue

nazcardan

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Okay here's a short version of a long story... I have an 02 Explorer 4wd with the 4.0h no. Just today, we got it back from the shop from the dreaded timing chain repair that escalated into a valve job. On the drive home (15 to 20 minute drive time) I tried turning on the A/C but I had NOOO cold air in the 100+ degree heat. The fan blew just fine and all the scorching air you could ask for.

That was about 3 hours ago... just came back from outside after looking things over under the hood and noticed a set of wires on the passenger side of the engine compartment ... one gray one black and both go through the firewall. On the black wire, approximately 18 to 20 inches from the firewall (again we're still under the hood) the wire is completely melted in two. My questions are... is this wire the cause of my A/C problem? What gauge of wire do I need to buy to fix it? and Is the mechanic shop responsible for the wiring being melted? (Keep in mind situation from first paragraph) Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Since the engine would have been pulled to do the timing chains it would have had the A/C evacuated. Did the shop forget to charge the A/C would be one possibility. I would go back and make them fix all that is wrong (on their dime).

Back