Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts

Don't do it. Buy an aftermarket Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com for under $200 and go with a hitch mount. I used a "trunk" mount on my last Toyota Highlander and ended up scratching/rubbing marks in the paint. After a few trips, your going to see big rub marks on the spoiler. Not worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

182RG, thank you for the advise. What kind of trunk mount bike rack did you use before?

182RG, thank you for the information about the trunk mount you were using before. And I like the fit of the aftermarket hitch receiver you placed in your X, I think I'll go the same path (hidden hitch). Is that from etrailer.com and did you installed it by yourself or in a shop?

I really appreciate your helpful advice.

i like. easy to put together and seems solid. just heavy but i'm ok with that. :)

068e2239.jpg

8fd02026.jpg

donm527, thanks for sharing your hitch bike carrier on your X, and the Thule carrier looks robust and steady...but, a little bit expensive.
It looks like you got the tow package and you could easily hide the hitch receiver when not in use....cool!

I just came back from biking, and the Yakima Quickback3 was very stable and I didn't notice any scratches or damages in the car. But, I'm still looking into the hidden hitch as 182RG advised.

Is that from etrailer.com and did you installed it by yourself or in a shop?

I really appreciate your helpful advice.

Myself. It was pretty straightforward. Btw..the pic isn't my Ex. It's from the eTrailer site.

Thanks for posting.
I was actually going to ask someone to post pictures of the factory mudflaps installed.
Look good. I have a pair ordered!

Nice work, Ron! The cover looks really good... :thumbsup:

Ron' great job, thanks for posting the detail.

New Sport owner, pic with new bike rack

I've been on here since 2003 - I used to have a 2001 Sport. Here is my new 2013 Sport with a Thule T2 rack and my 2011 Trek GF Mamba:

Sploder_zps7667ce64.jpg

:thumbsup:

It looks good! How do you like the summer tires on it?

So far so good. I like the wider size for sure - they are 265/45/20's.

I've been on here since 2003 - I used to have a 2001 Sport. Here is my new 2013 Sport with a Thule T2 rack and my 2011 Trek GF Mamba:

Sploder_zps7667ce64.jpg

:thumbsup:
Very Nice.. I use the Thule Apex 5 and I ride a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus VPP bike

Very Nice.. I use the Thule Apex 5 and I ride a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus VPP bike

I have been thinking about getting an Apex 5. With 3 kids will need the ability for 5 bikes before too long.

I have been thinking about getting an Apex 5. With 3 kids will need the ability for 5 bikes before too long.
I bought for the capacity and the btter protection from scratches when using it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back