Disappearing coolant.

RoninJedi

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
1997 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4

My coolant resevoir keeps running dry. I fill it every time I get gas. No discernable leak from truck while parked or opperating at low speed. No issue with over temping yet. Black hole?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aHA!

Im at work and unable to perform test, but I think you could be on to something. Exhaust definitly generates robust white cloud upon starting periodically but i never thought to see if that correlats with prior addition of coolant. Thanks!

Ever figure out what happened here? I have a similar situation, no white smoke at the tailpipe.

Try putting some stop leak in the radiator, see if you quit loosing coolant. Dont use a whole large bottle, it is only a V6. You may need to drain some coolant from the radiator. I use a Mity Vac and suck a couple of the bottles full, and just pour it into the overflow tank. That way it will be sucked back into the radiator when needed. A lot of guys will scream not to do this. But if you use some common sense, and dont use too much, it wont hurt a thing. After all the factories use it too. They just aren't going to tell you they do. If you are getting water in the oil, then that is a different matter, and you need more than some stop leak.

I had a similar problem. A lot of coolant disappearing really fast.
But not one drop appearing to leak anywhere visible.
And there wasn't any conspicuous white smoke from the exhaust suggesting a blown head gasket.
And strangely it didn't overheat even though it was low on coolant.

Finally when I went to remove the intake manifold to change the gaskets I found a huge puddle
of coolant on top of the engine. Must have been a gallon. You couldn't see it because the intake covered it.

Anyway, the thermostat housing was leaking from the bottom.
Replaced that and it doesn't use one single drop of coolant now.

What ^^he^^ said.... samething on both of my trucks.

If you take off the intake "tube" that runs to the throttle body and use a bright light you will probably see coolant traces on the bottom/sides of the lower thermostat housing.... could also be leaking from the 2 sensors on top of the housing (my 98 had both problems)

Here is a link for replacing the thermostat housing. I just went to pull a part and grabbed 2 used but low mile thermostat housings. Was going to upgrade to the 3rd gen housings but pull a part didnt have any and i wasnt putting out all that $ to get the set up. Will upgrade my good truck when i find a 3rd gen @ pull a part.

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

I have the same issue... I can see evidence of liquid getting everywhere around and behind the thermostat housing too. Think I'm gonna replace that sometime soon.

On my ex it was a cracked thermostat housing. The coolant would spray onto the intake manifold and would be evaporated by the engine when it was hot. The leak finally got bad enough that I could see some of the fluid on the manifold.

On my Ranger I was losing coolant. Checked all the normal places and things and nothing showed up. Turned out it was a cracked head. The head would only leak once the engine was warmed up to operating temperature.

Back