• Register Today It's free!

Disc brake pads-What do you use?

hank19-1

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
95 XLT with disc brakes all around. I use this on a mailroute so i'm stopping at least 400 times per day. My other route vehicles(93 Dodge Spirit-2001 Chevy S-10) I use the Performance Friction Pad from Autozone with very good results. I have put them on my Explorer with no luck at all. Got less than 7000 miles out of them. On the Spirit and S-10 I will get 18 to 21000 miles from them. This last go around I went to O'Reilly's and put on there basic pad and see how they would work. They are working fairly well but the disc brake squeal is terrible. Would any of you know what pad's I should try next that would last a reasonable time but also be fairly quiet? Thanks for the advice! John

Hello John, recall my posting before about my Explorer mail vehicle?
My 93 got reasonable mileage out of factory pads, but I then started using Performance Friction, because they were half as much. I wasn't planning on wearing them out before I changed the chassis. I have gotten about 6000-7000 miles out of each of two sets.
The factory pads are a very good choice. You might consider this also. I have over 35,000 miles on the brakes on my everyday 98 Mountaineer. I bought new EBC rotors and pads when I bought the vehicle. I have just under half of the pads left. They made noise initially, most likely because the rotors are spotfaced.
I am going to use the EBC pads on my 99 chassis when I get it installed. I am looking for the spindles from a 2001+ Sport or Sport Trac. The rotors are 12" in diameter, which will require 16" wheels. I am also about to mount 2003 rear brakes on my 98 Mountaineer(I have heavy 18" wheels on it).

Bigger brakes will last longer, and stay cooler. Good luck,
DonW

Performance Friction Pads

These pads work so well on my Spirit that it's a non issue. But for some reason they don't work on the Explorer. I do remember that when I first got the Explorer in 97 it had the original pads and they lasted for a long time. My rear pads I didn't think they would ever wear out. Now they will go out twice as fast as the front's. I'm thinking of trying the Raybestos Brute Stop pad. Maybe the Ford pad would be the way to go. I remember I use to drive a 85 Toyota truck and the best pads for it were the factory pads. I guess it's just that feeling that if you buy anything from the dealer you will pay twice the price. Maybe in this case it might be worth it.

I have been delivering mail since 1990. My first vehicle was a 1986 Crown Vic P71. It went about 20,000 miles on the factory pads, and less than 10000 on all cheap pads. The Super Stop pads were very good, as were the Performance Friction. The Ford pads started at $42, and then a few years later jumped to $107, for no good reason. That was when I started hunting around.
The factory pads are always an excellent baseline, and fall back choice. I don't know why the Performance Friction don't work well on 1st gen. Explorers.

You should seriously consider the EBC pads, they are working great for my everyday driver, and $70 is a good price for the life span. EBC is a premier European motorcycle brake company. I bought my rotors and pads from Brakes R US, but the Tire Rack sells the pads also. The rear pads were about $40 I believe. Good luck,
DonW

Back