Door lock or PATS system failure?? Urgent! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door lock or PATS system failure?? Urgent!

fusseli

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L
The most bizarre problem has started happening within the last week on my 02. While driving it's as if one of the door sensors is jiggling on and off, leading to a constant alarm chime. The door locks will also repeatedly spasm as the vehicle tries to lock the doors following the door ajar alarm, and the cabin lights come on. I have no idea what could be causing the issue but it's so incredibly annoying it almost makes the vehicle un-drivable. To make matters worse, the car alarm randomly went off last night in the middle of the night. I'm almost certain it's a faulty position switch for one of the doors. Is this built into the door/hatch latch?

I thought I narrowed it down to the rear hatch so I tried to adjust the striker, but no luck there. All doors seem to close tightly.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find a similar problem by searching the forum. my guesses are that it's the latch on my rear hatch, or the security system itself is going nuts...

Go to the search box and search for 'door ajar' you will see many posts on this issue.

I narrowed it down to the rear hatch glass. To fix the problem I just unplugged the latch sensor and jumped it with a piece of solid copper wire. Good to go! Turned out to be an easy fix and free, shouldn't have put it off so long.

urbz.jpg

6en8.jpg

Back