Finishing plexi amp/cap install, some ?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finishing plexi amp/cap install, some ?s

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
I am currently doing the amp install in the back hatch of my 95 sport. Its got a jl 500/1 amp back there behind plexiglass and the cap to the side of it. The problem is there is a whole mess of wires showing in there. If you have this amp install, how did u hide the wires in there? let me know thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slick,

A picture would be really helpful....then perhaps we could serve up some ideas...

D

Ok I finally got it all done, however now i think the amp may be overheating? i was playing music today loud and suddenly it just stopped hitting hard. it hit like 1 10" would hit, is this what u guys think happened? any experiences or know how to fix it?

A couple of things. I have that setup and havent figured out where to put all the wires or how to put something over it so i would really like pictures of yours. Also i have researched it alittle bit and people say to put a fan back there to keep it from overheating. I dont know how you would hook it up or anything...i would like to know myself. Good luck...Sorry im no help

I wanna see some pictures of this setup...Either of you! I want to do something like this in my next X and would love to see how you did it...Did you route wires up thru the gromets or what?

check my install out.
i put some thin plexi from LOWES in front of the amps, and 2 STINGER cooling fans on top

Dead Link Removed

let me know what ya'll think
i have others if you would care to see more.
you might have to take off the www. cuz its geocities.

How are those fans wired? Do they just go on whith the car or do you have a switch? Was it hard to wire? Thanx

wired my fans to a switch,
because sometimes u need them sometimes you don't.

it was real easy to do, just takes time.....postive and neg wires....

I would think you would want to run the fans all the time to keep the amp cool as possible. Are the fans creating any noise into the system?

EliteConcept is using an Audiobahn amp... They have built in fans and are very good amps. I will attest to the fact that you can run them at low impedances for extended periods of time with minimal air surrounding them and they will remain cool :) So extra fans for cooling are not always needed.

thanks 94sport
thats what i was going to say in a nutshell

i've never had a problem with the amp overheating...the onboard fan on the amp does a good cooling job

the 2 extra fans are for those extra hot summer days

I agree with the cooling internal fans doing a good job. BUT the amp is in an enclosed box and the hot air needs to be drawn out of the box. Otherwise the amps fan is doing is circulating the hot ai in the box. It would be better just to draw fresh air all the time. The fact is heat kills and keeping the amp at steady temp will increase its life. Thats all i was saying about running the fans all the time.

Back