Flowmaster Super 44 Off-Road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster Super 44 Off-Road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HA! That thing looks beefy, but I'm pretty sure it still wont survive long when used as a skid-plate. I wondered if the steel case is any thicker, or if it's just diamond-plate??

44 not restrictive enough?

I don't think that's an issue. I'm pretty sure the major restriction in our exhausts in the cats, not the muffler. You should be able to run straight pipes if you really wanted too. I'll leave out comments about sound quality of a straight-piped 4.6 2V or even worse a staight-piped V6... :rolleyes:

If you're rocking a 4.0, you might loose a lil teeensie, einsy amount of low end torque. Flowmasters aren't the higest flowing design out there (the name is kindof a misnomer) so you would likely be just fine.

Bam is right, unlike some mufflers, Flowmaster actually achieves its sound through baffles and restriction. You shouldn't have any problem with that muffler not being restrictive enough.

HA! That thing looks beefy, but I'm pretty sure it still wont survive long when used as a skid-plate. I wondered if the steel case is any thicker, or if it's just diamond-plate??
A friend had one on his full-size Bronco when they first debuted the diamond-plate, and it's about twice as thick as a normal Flowmaster - it'll certainly take more abuse than the stock muffler, but it is also certainly not a skid-plate.

gt183 said:
Hope this isn't a double post, but just came across this from Flowmaster:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...oducts_id=4156

This should work for our trucks right? Or is the Super 44 not restrictive enough?

Either way I love the look and would appreciate your thoughts.
On my friend's Bronco with the 5.8L (351W) V8 the muffler was a solid "meh" in the quality department, as the sound, while better than stock, was only slightly louder than stock even after being dumped directly under the cab (a big no-no to anyone thinking about doing such a thing). Luckily he found the muffler for $30 and was only charged $20 to put it on, so for $50 he was happy. I'd personally suggest a Magnaflow or Borla if you have a V8, or just leave it stock if you have the 4.0L (I have yet to hear a good sounding exhaust on the V6, but that's my own personal opinion, so feel free to ignore it ;) ).

Tom

A Super 44 is gonna sound rediculously loud on a V6 or V8 regardless...

assuming you have a 4.0L, i had a Delta 40 on my previous X, and it was insanely loud, with 2.5'' piping, and the resonator removed. I could only imagine how rediculous a 44 would sound...

if you want a decent sound without being insanely loud, but still have a good rumble. then i would opt for a 50 series or magnaflow IMO...

are you looking to just replace the muffler or have a true 2.5'' CatBack ?

A Super 44 is gonna sound rediculously loud on a V6 or V8 regardless...

assuming you have a 4.0L, i had a Delta 40 on my previous X, and it was insanely loud, with 2.5'' piping, and the resonator removed. I could only imagine how rediculous a 44 would sound...

if you want a decent sound without being insanely loud, but still have a good rumble. then i would opt for a 50 series or magnaflow IMO...

are you looking to just replace the muffler or have a true 2.5'' CatBack ?

I'm not sure what I wan't to do yet. After hearing a couple of clips on youtube of Super 44's on 4.0L's, I'm not really impressed. I prefer the regular 40 much better.

i noticed that you have an 05 like me...

if you look in the recent ( V6 Gas Mileage ) thread there are pics of my exhaust from stock to current. I would strongly recomend you save the money and opt for a 2.5'' exhaust, instead of just throwing a muffler on.

the difference is truely night an day...

Back