• Register Today It's free!

Front Driver's Wheel Bearing

Rich52490

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have been experiencing a problem with my left front wheel bearing recently. Noticed it a few months ago. (Burning smell from the tire) The vehicle would pull to the left when I applied the brakes. Thought it was originally a caliper, replaced both and still had the problem. Then I noticed a soft squeal when stopping, almost like the wear indicator touching the rotor...but had no wear indicators. So I replaced the rotors and pads this weekend. However the drivers side bearings ended up scoring the spindle and the spindle must have expanded because new bearings wouldn't fit on. Replaced the spindle and bearings and went to drive the truck today. Took it about 10 miles to work and had zero problems (car braked in a straight line, no burning smell) However, on the way home I hit the brakes and noticed it pulling to the left again...:( smell was present too when I got home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Going to take a look at it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Info:
Manual hubs
Stock tires and brakes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im thinking the alignment is off or the little tab on the inside nut of the spindle broke off and its just spinning off
jack it up see if the tire moves from top to bottom

No play in the wheel, re-torqued both spindle nuts. Will update when I come home from work tonight.

UPDATE: Car drove to and from work alright. No "bearing roar" or pull when braking. Still have a burning smell coming from the drivers front wheel well though. Cant really pinpoint it but I can feel an intense heat coming out. Not sure how to go about diagnosing it. Front passenger wheel well has no smell and no heat being produced.

I think I have tracked the heat source down to the EGR tube or the headers. Only thing else I could think of would be a dragging brake pad. Kind of clueless :roll:

90 degrees today though, I will take a look at it tomorrow when its cooler :D

Back