• Register Today It's free!

Getting a new one

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I have a 98 XLT 4x2. It only had 196,000 Miles. Well my wife was in a little accident and the air bags went off and cracked the windshield. There was some other damage also. It has been totaled out.

We are probally going to buy a new Exp. Any suggestion. My wife likes the XLT with the DVD system. She also like the Exp Sport trac.

ANy known issues that I need to know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope all is well. I trust the wifey is okay.

I'm in the same boat as you. My GUESS was, that the first years of the new style probally wouldn't be the best. I had an 00 WJ (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and the first 2 years weren't all that great. Believe me, I'll be a happy man handing the dealership those keys Monday.
I went with an 04, 4x4 XLT. It doesn't have the DVD thing. I couldn't find one used. I'd get one with a factory warranty. Gives you some time to keep an eye on it, and you're not so worry about getting a lemon. That and take it to a unbiased mechanic for inspection. In most states dealerships are required to allow you to do that.

I am for sure buying a brand new one. I can get a really good deal on one...Before I even put any money down I can get a fully loaded 40K limited for 30K...
I am probally not going to get a limited but a nice XLT..

go for a 3 year old one and let someone else take the massive depreatiation hit...
my 2002 I bought last november for arund $9000.

on a different note i love my 2002...
have had 2 problems with it..
rear wheel bearing days after i bough it.. cost me under $500.00 to fix no big deal..
and Blend door actuator. stull waiting for local dealer to get me the right part after 2 tries..
I love all the room in it plus the 3rd seat...

Buy used. I bought (well tommorrow) my 04 for 18K. New it's right around 30K. Granted I could buy it for 25K new now, but I'll take that 7K and mod it.

i really dont consider 1 year old enough time to drop the price that
much...

I
am
talking
maybe
to
years

The reason I can get one with alot knocked off. Is that I can buy one on the Ford "A" plan and Ford has another 5K rebate. Then I am going to put a few Grand down on the new ride. This ride is also for my wife...Got to keep momma happy.

sakirfp said:
The reason I can get one with alot knocked off. Is that I can buy one on the Ford "A" plan and Ford has another 5K rebate. Then I am going to put a few Grand down on the new ride. This ride is also for my wife...Got to keep momma happy.
That's kinda why I got a nice used one. She drives it to work in the winter and I do all my S&R work, storm spotting etc in it. She has a pretty nice car, but she has a long drive to work. I only drive 3 minutes to work, she drives 30-40 minutes.
In your case I would most definetly do that. I don't have that chance. I looked new, but the used unit (24,000 miles in one year... odd) was much cheaper. Still has factory warranty, based my mechanic's inspection etc.

i hear you there but i paid so little for me 2002 that i basically self warranty my truck if that makes sense lol...
it is only 3 years old and i have no payment on it Paid cash for it..
so no money owed and instead of having let me see on a $3oooo car what is that over $500 a month ...WOW.. one major repair under $400.00 dolars firt week i bought it...and i would rather pay for a repair every 6 months if that instead of paying out the ass and having a warranty...

I bought my wife a 05 XLT with a 4.6 v8, Tow package, Leather, Moon roof, 3rd row seat. It is pretty nice. The sticker was 35,000+ I got for 25,000 before I put a 5K down payment.

The wife is happy...Spoiled but happy...

Back