Gonna make my own grille inserts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gonna make my own grille inserts

Nick are you putting it behind the grille? Or like a street scenes thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put it behind the grille, I really like the way the grille looks but it just needed a nice silver backdrop. I've finished it up. I never took the grille off I just loosened the top four screws to give me some play in the grille, worked the mesh in there bent it around the underside and middle piece and there it was. Of course I had to cut out a little slice for the hood latch but I'd say it still looks nice.

When you do yours I recommend two things. 1. Take off the hood latch before starting the job it will give you a little more work room. 2. Wear metal gloves up to your elbows. At first I wasn't sure what color my grille was going to turn out the original silver or dark maroon from my massive loss of blood.

It was very simple to do and I suggest to anyone to do it and be creative with your color choice and/or style. Maybe spray paint with stencils your vehicles name or something.

I did that a few months ago with gutter guard. Mine looks pretty much like Campo's, only not as nice.

I like the way they look behind the grill too, only now it's not really noticable since it's got the bumper/grill guard in front of the grill

Ok so I tried to make grille inserts the street scenes way this morning. Got the first use out of that first aid kit in my trunk when I sliced my hand (pics of my make-shift bandage coming soon..... ) and I ended up coming back to my dorm defeated and cut up.... I think I'm going to put the mesh behind the grille now, cause making a street scenes thing is way too difficult....

i sort of did this! i attached mine (look behind the billet) with a very heavy duty epoxy stuff.

Attachments

• grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 166

Well guys I did it!!!! Got the mesh in behind the grille today. I decided I didn't want to mess with pulling the grille forward, and just took the whole damn thing off! Made it a ton easier, and they look awesome now!!! Pics coming this weekend hopefully.... :)

Looks really good!

Hrmm, since we're so close, maybe I'll commission you to do one for me.. :)

did this for a buddy with a dakota after he saw mine. his looks sooo sweet...maybe even better than mine...nah, cause his isnt an explorer! :p it looks nice though, cause his grill is red so its a good contrast

Back