HELP! Humming @ 40 mph? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Humming @ 40 mph?

genejock

Reaction score
OK, here's the problem... When ever I drive from about 40 to 50 mph I hear this moderatly loud humming noise (that I can also feel in the floorboard with my feet, like a vibration) that appears to come from the front of the car, I want to say front passenger side. At speeds above 50 or below 40 the humming/vibration seems to vanish.

Also, in 4lo at around 20 or so mph when the throttle is not applied (just cruising) the passenger side hub makes an horrible whining noise. I checked out the hubs and they seem to be OK, based on the information I have gathered about the el-cheapo auto hubs my truck has. No broken parts, etc. Plus I just lubed them a few months ago.

I should note that the truck has a relatively new tranny in it (about 10K on it so far) but it shifts great, fluid is fine (not burnt) and I dont drive it hard.

So, what should I do? This noise/vibration is super annoying and I dont want to do any further damage by continuing to drive with it this way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe an out-of-balance tire?

U-Joints

The rumbling vibration could be your Universal Joints. If they haven't been replaced yet, they are probably due...

Paul

Sorry...I can't help myself!

I don't mind Hummmmers! Reminds me of College!

Possibly wheel bearings or as i've seen recently...power steering fluid.

If you haven't found the problem yet definately pull the rotor and check the inner wheel bearing. This noise was on my truck and it was a bad inner, caused by lousy mechanics who couldn't figure out how the locknuts hold the assembly tight. You will need a special locknut socket ($10) and a torque wrench to get it just right again but it is an easy process, and get a Haynes manual, it has all the torque specs.

I have the same problem, dealership replaced the PTU, vibration is gone but the noise is still there. Wheel was balanced as well still noisy :(

Props to you for using the search feature so well, but this old thread was about first generation Explorers, a completely different animal from your 2016 model.

Back