ALCPower

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer V8 XLT
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this forum.

I found something very useful on it yesterday related to my having intermittent problems starting the engine when the car is warm. Starts cold fine. It also stalls about once a month while driving but this problem seems to have gone away (wire brushed the connectors on the battery and replaced the lock nuts on the cable to larger ones and replaced the idle control valve). The fix suggested for the starting up warm issue was related to the fuel pump relay being possibly bad. The heat causes the connection to form a gap, preventing current flow while during a cold start, the contacts are tighter and hence current flows. I cleaned the contacts of the relay to see if that would do it. So far, so good. I scrapped off the surface using a sharp narrow blade and then some sandpaper so the metal (5 contacts) were shiny. If the problem occurs again, I will replace the relay.

Oh yes, I have a 1994 XLT, V6 automatic that I bought new while I lived in Colorado/Broomfield. I really like this car and feel really good about keeping it running nicely. I live in Santa Clara, California now.

This past Saturday, I installed a brand new Murray radiator by myself which took about 6 hours but it was done right and there are no leaks, temp gauge shows a normal reading.

Thanks!

Al
Santa Clara, California

Back