• Register Today It's free!

South Carolina anyone?

Jack.McHale49

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 2Dr 4.0 Explorer
Just wondering if i have any other Xplorers near me??

i live in summerville just outside of charleston

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in Aiken, about two hours from ya.

I'm in Greer, just outside of Greenville

hailing from Mauldin/Simpsonville....moving to Piedmont though.

South Carolina

I am in Greer as well, actually lyman, but closer to greer

Im in summerville. looking for places/people to ride with. hit me up

I'm in Darlington. Wouldn't mind finding a group to trail with.

Im from camden. not many places to ride here. always up for getting together with a group of people!

What I found searching the Net real quick:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_0804_101_places_to_wheel_east/index.html

Gulches ORV Park
Size: 80 acres
Time: Multi-day
Experience level: Easy to most difficult
Points of interest: Called the Disneyland for 4x4s, Gulches offers mud, sand, hill climbs, off-camber switchbacks and rock gardens. Trails are clearly marked with the degree of difficulty.
What you need: One-time registration/membership fee of $5, $20 per day to ride, children under 12 are free. Camping is available on-grounds for a fee. An air compressor and mig welder are also available on-site.
Information: 864/449-5698, www.gulchesorvpark.com

North and South Core Banks
Length: North Core Banks, approximately 17 miles, South Core Banks, approximately 21 miles
Time: Hours, days, whatever. Time becomes irrelevant when you hit the sand.
Experience level: Easy
Points of interest: The North and South Core Banks are part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore, which is a string of low, sand barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. The North Core Banks (Portsmouth Island) and the South Core Banks (Great Island) are open to beach driving and vehicles are transported to the island via NPS-authorized vehicle ferries. No paved roads exist on these islands. Miles of barren beach are there to explore and history dots the area. For instance, the South Core Banks has the Cape Lookout Lighthouse and ruins of old World War II gun emplacements. Cabins are available for rent on each island and primitive camping is allowed for up to 14 consecutive days.
What you need: It costs about $90 round trip to get a fullsize 4x4 to the North Core Banks and about $75 to the South Core Banks. A stock four-wheel-drive vehicle is capable of traversing the sand as long as the tires are aired-down.
Information: North Core Banks; Morris Marina Ferry Service 877/956-6568, 252/225-4261, www.portsmouthislandfishing.com, South Core Banks; Davis Shore Ferry Service, 252/729-3474, www.davisferry.com.

Outer Banks
Length: Approximately 100 miles from the Virginia state line to the south tip of Ocracoke Island.
Time: Days
Experience level: Easy
Points of interest: Similar to the North and South Core Banks, but all of this area, with the exception of Ocracoke Island, is accessible without utilizing a ferry. Near population centers the beach is closed to vehicles during peak tourist season. The four-wheel-drive-only town of Carova Beach exists near the Virginia state line and wild horses roam north of Corolla. Old shipwrecks are often found protruding from the sand.
What you need: A four-wheel-drive vehicle with aired-down tires.
Information: www.outerbanks.org

River Rock Off Road Park
Size: n/a
Time: n/a
Experience level: Beginner to advanced
Points of interest: River Rock hosts a lot of private club trail outings and they have several weekends where the public is invited to 'wheel.
What you need: River Rock does all of its reservations via e-mail. They have a campground that offers primitive camping as well as RV sites with full hookups. They also have a cabin for rent.
Information: www.riverrockorv.com

Upper Tellico OHV Area, NC/TN
Where it is: Near the North Carolina / Tennessee state line
The Wheeling Experience: The Upper Tellico OHV Area is located in the Nantahala National Forest and supports an extensive trail system for off-road vehicles. The trails are strewn with rocks and boulders with some trees to dodge thrown in. The wooded area is very scenic and includes some hilly terrain as well.
Points of Interest: Interesting trail obstacles include Gaurdrail, Helicopter Pad, and Lower 2 trail. Each is a climb with its own unique challenges. You'll get some off-camber, some rock ledges, and some muddy boulder crawling.
What You Need: Most any mildly modified 4WD can have fun on the Tellico trails. Beefier rigs can step it up on the harder trails and when it's rainy and wet all the trail ratings seems to creep up a notch over their dry day ratings. You'll also find several creek and water crossings in the area as well.
Contact info: Private campgrounds and lodging are available near the OHV area.There is a $5 entrance fee and Tellico may be closed during winter months. More info can be found at: http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/

ive been thinking about taking a trip to gulches this winter....

Gulches ORV Park is about a 3 hour drive for me. However I know of no where closer to do some off-roading. And being relatively new to the 4X4 scene the easy and intermediate trails there sounds just right for me. Plus they have camping.

Simpsonville here.

Im in sumter, whenever i lift my ride and get new tires i want to go wheeling

Simpsonville here too, but im stuck in el paso texas until i get out of the army in august.... ive heard a rumor that skip was talking about shutting down gulches anyone know if this is true???

Just moved to prosperity, SC

Gulches was open this morning. I know cause i was there.

I'm in gastonia, NC which is less than 5 minutes from the SC state line.

I'm in Fort Mill, SC

about 10 feet south of Charlotte but still SC dammit :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm near Travelers Rest. I'm also looking for an X.

Back