What about a Centrifical SuperCharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What about a Centrifical SuperCharger?

Black Magic

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
Has anyone used or know how hard it would be to add a centrifical S/C? There are a lot of options and they are a lot cheeper.

Heck, I can even get one from Ford SVO:

i-1.JPG

i-2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They have one for the 4.0 SOHC?!?

I wouldnt think it would be tooo hard. And I believe those are belt driven units, no gear whine. The add in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords always said "The only sound you'll hear, is the competition swearing"

I have a Vortech Supercharger on my '95 F-250 w/ a 460. Although it was a complete kit, the design principal is very simple and I think you could use a centrifugal supercharger that is similar, fabricate your own brackets and be off and running...

as long as you can find the room under the hood, the hardest part is making the correct brackets to hold the blower and pullies, and working out the belt and pullies.

I think both will have their difficulties, just different ones. With a centrifugal I think finding a place to mount it would be a PIA. Cant mount it infront because of the fan clearance. Have to have a bracket holding it off to one side of the engine. I think the main advantage of the centrifugal would be that you dont need an intake adapter or all new designed intake.

Personally I still want a roots just because of the insaine low end torque. If you havent ridden in a Lightning or new Cobra, do it and you'll be hooked on the positive displacement blower.

I'm hooked!

Back