• 5W30

Votes: 140 33.0%
  • 5W50 synthetic

Votes: 54 12.7%
  • 10w30 synthetic

Votes: 88 20.8%

• Total voters
5W-30 Havoline

No leaks at 91,000 miles. The first owner used 5W-30 Valvoline.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Castrol gtx 10-30 all-year because I drive alot of freeway.
I was using synth. but my seals started to get moist . So I switched back, I guess the synth. is so "slick" that on high mileage motors start leaking around the seals.

Oil Schmoil

I take good care of my truck now, 10w-30 every 3500miles. BUT a few years ago, my first wife left me and took the explorer. I got it back in the divorce, but in the mean time she managed to put 27,000 miles on one oil change. When I got it back it had six inches of trash inside and the same oil and filter that I had put on months earlier. The oil came out like cold pancake syrup. I changed the oil four times in a week and and after all twenty quarts had been run through it, it finally came out mostly clean.

That was four years ago and now BamBam has 154,000 miles and is still running strong. Maybe at 200k, I'll overhaul the engine and see if there was any perminant damage.

Wow.. you got some miles on that thing. Ill feel bad when mine gets to a hundred. Im in denial that its "old".

Darkman, that sucks! I heard of someone going 100,000 miles because he read that it didn't require any tuneups until 100,000 miles. Said it finally caught fire or something!
Anywho... since Quaker State is now an official sponsor of Vegas, I'll now be using the Quaker State ultra synthetic 5w-30.

Hmmm...

I use 10W40 all the time. I know the 10 is thicker but what's the 40 for? Would there be a benefit to switcher to 30? What about synthetic? Why do so many people use synthetic? Just curious...

5W30 in winter, 10-30 in summer, replaced every 3000 kms. Yes, I said kms. My Dad has done this for 40 years and has gotten some amazing miles out of his engines. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. And yes, I am aware that todays oils are better than the oils of 40 years ago and do not break down as quickly, but as far as I am concerned, if it is turning black, it is "breaking down" to some extent.

Also I like doing stuff on my truck, so I don't mind, and I bike to work all year, so we only put about 10,000kms on in a year - about 3 oil changes per year.

Also do you guys know if Amsoil is available in Canada? I have seen alot on this site about it, never heard of it. I usually use Quaker State.

actually, the blackness in the oil comes from the carbon you get when burning gasoline. the only way to illiminate the problem is turning your rig into a LPG burner. that stuff is rated like 103 at the pump.

Just curious what every one uses.

Amsoil

amoil all the way !!!!!
series 2000 0-30,dual remote bypass filtration system
that I have mounted in the grill.

Mobil 1 5W-30

so, what's the consensess on the best synthetic oil(besides amsoil and redline)?

I have used Mobil 1 10-30W for the hot Texas weather, A/C on and towing. Changed over when my new 93 EB 8K, now it has 105 w/o any problems. Understand new Corvettes come with Mobil 1 as the factory fill and that Porsche now uses some brand of synthetic, but have not verified this as fact. As I live close to Ft. Hood, I do know the Army's tank turbine engines use synthetic oil and those are very expensive engines! MikeTEC

:bounce: I use royal Purple in my three Fords. Still going strong!

10w30, mobile 1

quaker state synthetic is the way to go. you get more miles per change off synthetic. i know there are also other benefits of synthetic.

this is what's in mine :

10-30 Motorcraft
20-50 Havoline
20-50 castrol
20-50 Supertech

hmmm i don';t think i forgot any.....i don't care....oil is oil....plus i'm gonna rebuild pretty soon anywyas, so i could care less what kinda oil is in it...

I switched over from 5w-30 regular to 5w-30 Mobil 1 on my last oil change and I can tell a difference already. It runs a little smoother and gets a hair better mileage. Still not sure if it's worth 3x as much as the regular oil but if I go longer between changes and get a little better mileage it may be. I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles. How much longer can I go on synthetic?

I go 5000 with M1. You can go 7000, if you change your filter at about 5000.

Someone i forget who did a test with mobile 1 and i think they went 10000 on it with no problems. Try a search on Oil Analysis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

choice of oils

I have been using Castrol Syntec 5w-50 for several years in both my 94 Explorer and my 85 BroncoII, both stock. Before that, I used Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 79 Honda Accord. Both oils worked great for me. The Honda was parked at over 250K miles with a head gasket leak (known weakness), the BII has 210K miles and is going strong, and the Explorer has 94K and purrs like a kitten. For the price and performance, the Syntec gets the win. I put the BII through some abuse that I didn't expect it to survive when I lost all coolant and had to drive about 20 miles to the nearest supply. The engine got so hot that the pistons swelled tight inside the cylinders, and it wouldn't restart at first. After cooling down for about 20 minutes, it restarted fine (with some antifreeze added, of course). That was about 70K miles ago, and I still haven't had to open the engine up for repairs. I don't think many non-synthetic oils would have held up nearly as well.
I have to wonder why many of you change oil weights from summer to winter, especially with synthetics. In warm weather, the only viscosity number that makes much difference is the second one. The first number is the winter rating. With synthetics, the numbers really don't mean much, as the oil really doesn't change viscosity with temperature changes like the old non-synthetics do. Lighter oils are easier on the engine all year around, as they are easier to pump and thus have lower parasitic losses, resulting in better mileage.

Back