Can i get 32'a under my 97 sport with only a TT and shackle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i get 32'a under my 97 sport with only a TT and shackle?

Rusty

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Xlt and 97 Sport
Hey guys i am kind of new around here and just had a quick question. I right now have a 97 explorer sport 5spd ohv stock. I just found all the great info on things like the TT warrior shackles 4 dr leaves (cuz i have the mono right now- how stupid by the way!) and BL's.
My first and main question is can i fit some 32's under my sport if i do the TT and the warrior shackle- maybe new leaves? I am trying to go cheap for now(baby on the way!)
heres another... plans down the road- i deally i would like to ride on 32's comfortably with enough room to wheel. I know i will probably need a body lift then. (might have just answered my first question) but i don't want to get into the hassle of doing the steering upgrade for the 3 inch. Can i use the 2 inch for the older expy's and pretty much be ok? i really have no place to do any fabricating or the tools. i am renting an apt right now and dont have the space nor many friends up here since i am new to the area!
Also can a Bl or a shackle lift be done without using Air tools?

Lots of Q's sorry!
Any input is appreciated!
Thanks!
Rusty :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a few people are running TT/Shackels and 32's you will probably need to trim though.

Thanks that is helpful!! I appreciate it!

I have a '99 sport and I fit 32s with a TT and the shackles/aal/4-door leaf spring combo. not quite an inch of tt. i did have to trim some of the plastic on the bottom corner of the fender. if you have stock wheels you might not need to. i went with some 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing and it was a pretty tight fit at first, but after trimming it's good enough. i haven't done any hardcore offroading just some light stuff, but it hardly rubs.

so do you get any lift out of the 4 dr leaves... and do they just bolt right up in place of the monoleaf?

the 4-door leaves just got rid of the sag that was going on. once i added the AAL and shackles i definitely saw the results.

just put on some 31's

Hey i thought i would update.. i just put on a set of 31's after i did the TT and Shackle on my 97 sport
The tires look great on it.. i had to take off my front mudflaps and they still rubbed a little bit so i cranked the TT a little more. I thin i am at about 2.5 inches now with the TT and i don't want to go any higher.. i think it sat a little lower than most ex's to begin with so...
The front still rubs a tiny bit but i think it is due to an accident a previous owner had... i think the bumper is pushed back a little bit on the drivers side... i will have to try and work with it a bit!

Overall i am pleased...
To fit 32's i would have to trim some stuff in the fronts but i think the back would be ok... i don't think trimming would be too extensive but don't have to worry about that now anyways..

Thanks for all the input and help!

Do you have any before and after pics?

Hey i thought i would update.. i just put on a set of 31's after i did the TT and Shackle on my 97 sport
The tires look great on it.. i had to take off my front mudflaps and they still rubbed a little bit so i cranked the TT a little more. I thin i am at about 2.5 inches now with the TT and i don't want to go any higher.. i think it sat a little lower than most ex's to begin with so...
The front still rubs a tiny bit but i think it is due to an accident a previous owner had... i think the bumper is pushed back a little bit on the drivers side... i will have to try and work with it a bit!

Overall i am pleased...
To fit 32's i would have to trim some stuff in the fronts but i think the back would be ok... i don't think trimming would be too extensive but don't have to worry about that now anyways..

Thanks for all the input and help!

here's a pic froma wheeling trip today... tt shackle and 32's with minor trimming .. they rub when it is flexed out but not on anything major.

Attachments

• flexy.jpg
    flexy.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 368

Your truck looks great bro.l

thanks guys... i was a little unimpressed with the wheelability yesterday but i guess i was comparing it to a couple more capable rigs... one being an xj with 5.5" of lift and 31s
the exploder did alright

you still running the stock wheels on that setup?

yessir and it works fine!

couple o pics for stolle

Attachments

• ex side.jpg
    ex side.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 266
  • ex side 2.jpg
    ex side 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 266

I might have missed it somewhere but do you have 4wd? If you do, the recommended max height for a tt is 2 inches. Otherwise you will have premature u-joint failure and even binding if you go to high. Thought i would give a heads up.

good advice! I do have 4wd but only went just 2" with the torsion twist.

I didnt notice any binding while 4wheeling or turning so i think i am good!

thanks!

Back