Off-Road Prep

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Between myself and my friends, I've noticed that we all do very different things to prepare to go off-roading. From gas cans to spare belts, coolers of beer to preparing alibis for girlfriends. It's pretty diverse. Since I'm pretty new to it, I'm trying to put my routine together.

What do you guys do before you head out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4-5 one gallon jugs of water, 45,000 tow strap(30'), lots of towels, lay down second and third rows and cover completely with rubber matting, bottle nose jack, 150 piece mechanics tool set, cooler with lunch in it, $100, and a change of clothes and a second pair of shoes

I think that's about it when I go mudding, youll probably want a mini grill, a 6 gallon gas tank, and a "battery box"/jump box, too if youre going for an all day off road excursion. The one thing I never had with me was a same size spare, which is probably the most important thing to bring lol

^^^ that one is very in depth if you have most of that stuff it'll be fine(lists lots of replacement parts)

I've seen really in-depth checklists like that before. I was really looking for more personalized routines, like what Kazer posted. Sure, I could pack my whole garage into the back of my ex, but that seems a bit overkill....

Tool boxes, lots of Oil and Radiator fluid, Spare Relays and fuses, Sleeping Bag, Water, Camera, Army Shovel, and lots of Kippered Snacks.

well the list wasnt an end all be all. it was a list of often carried things. you should always tailor your gear to where and how far you are going.

I agree with LONO I think it depends on distance. Whenever id go out into the forest near my house all I would take is a couple drinks, some snacks, And a strap. If i got stuck I had all kinds of people I could call to come get me. Now if you're going a ways away bring everything you possibly can lol

Ah! Well if you're looking for personal lists, I keep my lawn chair in the back of my Explorer. Along with my golf clubs, fishing poles & tackle box, baseball gloves/bats, emergency roadside kit, hat, extra pair o' shoes, and my socket set. You know, the usual. Oh wait, I keep all that sh** back there all the time haha... you never know what you'll stumble across out in the great outdoors!

Ah! Well if you're looking for personal lists, I keep my lawn chair in the back of my Explorer. Along with my golf clubs, fishing poles & tackle box, baseball gloves/bats, emergency roadside kit, hat, extra pair o' shoes, and my socket set. You know, the usual. Oh wait, I keep all that sh** back there all the time haha... you never know what you'll stumble across out in the great outdoors!

Sounds like the back of mine!:D

The one thing I never had with me was a same size spare, which is probably the most important thing to bring lol

It figures the one thing I needed I didn't bring
9f2eef9d.jpg

2TimingTom said:
Doesn't starter fluid and a lighter fix that problem?

I saw that on the discovery channel too... It only works in really cold weather though. It was 90° at 10pm...

It figures the one thing I needed I didn't bring
9f2eef9d.jpg

best bet is to remove the tire off the truck, grab a ratchet strap and wrap it tight around the circumference of the tire so that the bead pushes out and then inflate with a air compressor.

Blee1099 said:
best bet is to remove the tire off the truck, grab a ratchet strap and wrap it tight around the circumference of the tire so that the bead pushes out and then inflate with a air compressor.

I just ran home and grabbed my spare. Once I got it back to my garage with my BIG compressor I got it back on no problem.

I have used ether to remount a tire... In hot conditions... The risk is putting too much and BOOM!
It'll work its just risky as hell... The whole time I'm spraying it feels like way too much...
Never had and luck with the strap method though ive seen it done..

Back