99 Explorer - 2WD - Rusted Rear Brake Line over Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer - 2WD - Rusted Rear Brake Line over Differential

jlrohio

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XL
I have a rusted rear brake line that routes from the drivers side rear brake alongside the rear axle (over the differential / pumpkin) to the passengers side brake.

There are three clips that appear to hold the brake line in place alongside the axle and the top of the differential.

1st, I went to Advance Auto and purchased a 51" long, "domestic" straight brake line (PA-351) from Poly-Armour. My understanding is this brake line is coated and is "supposedly" easily bendable by hand (I plan to use a brake line bender though). Flares are already in the brake line w/fittings and the size (both 3/16" line and 51" length) is an exact match for this rear brake line.

The question I have is the retaining clips that are above the rear axle and differential. My current brake line appears to have rust-fused itself to these clips. The differential clip looks like I can pry it apart but the axle clips look solidly rusted to the brake line.

Does anyone have direct experience with removing an older brake line from these clips? Will the clips be reusable? If not, I have a plan to use multiple zip ties over the axle to create a zip-tie plastic base on the axle and then zip-tie secure the line to that base. Just curious what others have done with this particular brake line repair job?

BTW, I replaced the rear differential oil and cover since this pic was taken last week.

IMG_7933.jpg
IMG_7847.jpg
Rear%20Brake%20Line%20-%20Over%20Axel-4.jpg
IMG_7941.jpg
New%20Rear%20Differential%20Cover.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you find your original axle clips can not be reused...

Other than welding on new metal tabs to fold over there's not much else you can do. I'd probably use a couple of fairly wide zip-ties or even worm-style radiator hose clamps. The original metal tabs just held the line out of the way. Zip-ties or hose clamps would accomplish the same thing. If you use hose clamps don't go nuts tightening them, not that you'd collapse the brake line, but they wouldn't need to be super tight. Just tight enough to stay in place.

If you find your original axle clips can not be reused...

Other than welding on new metal tabs to fold over there's not much else you can do. I'd probably use a couple of fairly wide zip-ties or even worm-style radiator hose clamps. The original metal tabs just held the line out of the way. Zip-ties or hose clamps would accomplish the same thing. If you use hose clamps don't go nuts tightening them, not that you'd collapse the brake line, but they wouldn't need to be super tight. Just tight enough to stay in place.

Koda2000, Thanks for the input.

I'll try and post photos of the finished job just so anyone else needs the info down the line. I can't imagine these brake lines lasting much longer on these vehicles...if they have not already been replaced. I've PB Blasted everything hoping it helps!

A couple months ago the main line to the rear axle on my 2000 Ranger rusted right where it bends to connect to the hose to the rear. I used nycad brake line which was very easy to bend & flare & is supposed to not rust out again. I also had to replace the hose to the rear, both lines out to the wheel cylinders & the wheel cylinders because it was all rusted together & would not come apart. I actually had no problem with the retainer clips on the rear housing. I would just use zip ties to secure the lines to the housing.
100_0876_zpsnoakuut8.jpg

100_0878_zpsn5ccczuj.jpg

Mike65,
Thanks for your story (and pics).

It does make me wonder (and your pics make it clear)...why is it...that I have always believed that brake lines needed to be made out of steel due to the high pressures used by hydraulic systems but yet, the final few inches or feet, a rubber hose (granted a thicker one) is used??

It appears that with enough various lengths of rubber brake hose and their associated couplers, once could much more easily route a brake line.

Well, I hope to get to this job today - I did not get to use the lift I wanted to yesterday - hopefully there will be one available today. The good thing is, at this point this is a job that can wait for me vice being stuck on the road (knock on wood 3x) with a leaking brake line!!

--- ----- ---- ----- ----- ---- ---- ----- ---- ---- ---- -----

Mike65,
On another note, I was poking around the other pics on your photobucket site.
I like the picture diary of the rust repair on the explorer sport.
I have similar rust issues as well with my lower rocker panels (is that what they are called - below the doors). Most of this is covered by the lower trip panels. Do you have a write up on that repair? I'd love to be able to do something similar someday with mine too.

IMG_7855.jpg

IMG_7854.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg

Installed new Rear Brake Line

Today, I finally got to replace my rear brake line on my 99 Ford Explorer XL, 4DR, 2WD, 4.0L, OHV, X-Engine.

For the rear brakes, there is only one brake line that runs from the Master Cylinder to the back of the truck alongside the driver’s side in a steel brake line. At the driver’s side rear wheel area, the line converts into a rubber brake hose.

IMG_8091.jpg

As you can see from this picture, I have to address this connection at some point - Ohio winters have done a number, rust-wise, on the bottom of my Explorer. What is surprising is that the brake line all the way back is perfectly fine and there is not one bit of rust is on it.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

After the brake line converts to a rubber brake line, it is routed to just behind the rear driver’s side wheel area and splits off. One side goes to the rear driver’s side rear caliper and the other runs over to the passenger side rear caliper.

In this pic below, you can see the rubber brake line coming down and then split off; one side to the driver’s side rear caliper...you can also see my new brake line inserted, where it runs over to the passenger’s side rear caliper.

IMG_8114.jpg

Here is the brake line that I picked up at Advance Auto for about $8 or so. It's 51 inches long and already flared for you. It’s the perfect length – and most importantly, you do NOT have to flare anything. It’s the perfect brake line for this rear brake line repair.

1136652f-54de-4619-8eb3-46d9d921881c.jpg

IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

I tried to carefully remove my old brake line using a 3/8 brake line wrench, after spraying the flare nut with plenty with PB Blaster. It was not coming out well, as the old brake line had basically rust-fused itself to the flare nut. The flare nut itself was coming out just fine...it just wanted to hold onto the brake line instead of letting the brake line spin freely around the nut. So, bottom line...you're doing this repair and the old brake line is coming out – so just cut the brake line right at the flare nut - the brake line is just getting in your way. The flare nut turned off just fine once I was not worried about breaking a cancer ridden, rusted brake line, even with all the rust. In this pic below, the arrow points to the flare nut and brake line that I am referring to. The other red lines just indicate the routing of the brake line over the axle.

IMG_7848.jpg

After I removed the driver’s side flare nut, I did the same thing and removed the passenger side flare nut and removed the old rusted brake line entirely.

Now, about the brake line and bending the new straight brake line to match the pattern of the old brake line so that it fits properly around the rear axle...I had a proper brake line bender with me and I tried to use it...but it was just too much of a PITA. So, don’t bother if you don’t have one. A large socket or can will suffice as something to bend the brake line around.

The beauty of the Poly Armour Brake Line is two-fold. 1st, it bends so easily in your hand - just bend it carefully and nothing beyond 90 degrees unless you are bending it around a spare socket or something else solidly round. Just be careful with it and it will not snap or crack on you. It's flexible and more forgiving than steel brake line I've used in the past. The 2nd benefit is, supposedly there is some coating on it that resists rust from affecting it down the road.
Here's an excerpt from their web page:
…due to its PVF or Poly-Vinyl Fluorine coat. This coating is actually a highly durable ‘plastic’ coating that is ‘baked and cured’ to the line. This provides extra protection from corrosion, debris, and road surfacing solutions. It also offers superior bend-ability without kinking. That makes Poly-Armour the easiest line to work with – period! Underneath the PVF-coating is a double-wall, low carbon steel, copper brazed tubing which meets all international and U.S. requirements for brake tubing. The difference being that Poly-Armour offers 30 times the corrosion resistance of galvanized steel alone.

So, I bent the new brake line, trying to follow the contours and bends of the old brake line, side by side. I'll admit, it did not look pretty and I made a few mistakes but I was easily able to re-bend it to get it in the best shape that I could. One NOTE OF WARNING - BEFORE BENDING - Make sure the flare nut is at each flared END before bending - otherwise, you need to unbend it all and start over! :eek: Also, carefully remove the sticker from the brake line so that any pieces of the sticker do not get stuck in the flare nut. Unless you spend a lot of time on the bending, it's not going to be perfect. Don't worry - just get it close to the shape of the old - you can continue the bending/molding the new line after you get it up under the car for install.

Before I go on, I wanted to speak about my original concern about this entire thread - that was the rusted clips where the old lines get routed along the axle.

Rear%20Brake%20Line%20-%20Over%20Axel-4.jpg

I had pre-treated the rusted clips with PB Blaster and then I carefully pried them up with a screwdriver and they both bent up easily so that I could remove the old brake line from them.

Here are some pics of the new brake line routed through the clips:

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8107.jpg

I put the driver’s side flare nut on first and then tried to better curve the brake line to best fit around the axle and up over the differential to the passenger side. I then put in the passenger side flare nut. I was concerned about the extra and different lengths of the flare nut but it was fine in the end.

IMG_8126.jpg

That's basically it. I had the benefit of a lift to use but not much time - I did this job in a little over two hours (that's probably longer than it should have). If I had to do the job again, I could probably do it in less than 30 minutes, including bleeding the brake line.

About bleeding the brake line; there is only one line that runs from the front to the back. It then splits and routes to each side. I bled the rear passengers side first – actually. I used a large Styrofoam drink cup, filled with some brake fluid, and a larger diameter 3/8 size clear piece of hose that I placed on the end of the bleed valve and then routed the line down through where the straw goes into the cup...down into the brake fluid I poured in the bottom.

I then opened the brake caliper bleed valve and had someone else get in the car and step on the brake 12-15 times slowly while I had the bleed valve open. After they stepped on the brake for 12-15 times I secured the bleed valve and then made sure the brake reservoir at the master cylinder was kept topped off after every 12-15 steps on the brake. I had a quart (32 oz.’s) of new DOT-3 brake fluid on hand. I kept doing this until I had fully clear brake fluid coming out the lines (at least 25 times pumping the brake pedal). I did the same to the driver’s side bleed valve and bleed out any air bubbles.

I was NOT able to bleed the front calipers (and subsequently flush the lines with new fluid). The front bleed valves were frozen into the calipers. I did NOT want to break one at this point. I will take care of the front bleed valves down the road and replace them when I get a chance. Not bleeding the front lines seemed to have no ill effects on properly bleeding the brake system. The vehicles braking systems seems just fine.

Hope some of these pics help others down the road! ;)

What year did the Explorers get the brake lines that are coated in the black plastic stuff?

2000?

Anyway, the coated brake lines for the win, seem to last forever.

What year did the Explorers get the brake lines that are coated in the black plastic stuff?

2000?

Anyway, the coated brake lines for the win, seem to last forever.

...So, are you saying that the brake line on my 1999 Explorer, from the front (Master Cylinder) back to the rear of the vehicle is coated...and thus why it did not rust (based upon that pic before it connects to the rubber brake line?

If so, I wish they had done the rear brake line in that same coating.

...So, are you saying that the brake line on my 1999 Explorer, from the front back to the rear is coated...and thus why it did not rust (based upon that pic before it connects to the rubber brake line?

If so, I wish they had done the rear brake line in that same coating.

Yeah, those lines that are coated with the black stuff last forever basically.

AND.. you've basically just helped answer a question I've had.
I have two 2000 Explorer sports and on both of them, the rear brake line is the only one without the coating.

I go to the scrap yard and pull off the rear brake line (across the rear axle) from newer explorers that has this coating.

The 97 and 98 explorers I have/had did not have this coating on any of the lines.

AND.. you've basically just helped answer a question I've had.
I have two 2000 Explorer sports and on both of them, the rear brake line is the only one without the coating.

I go to the scrap yard and pull off the rear brake line (across the rear axle) from newer explorers that has this coating.

The 97 and 98 explorers I have/had did not have this coating on any of the lines.

What do you do with the newer ones you pull off from the scrap yard? Sell em'? I think if I ever have to replace another one...I'll just go with the line from Advance Auto (or anyone else - as I'm sure they're sold everywhere) and bend the new one in place...save the trip to the scrap yard (which can be fun I'll admit)! :D

A short history of brake line material. Turns out that the original material for brake lines was CUNI (copper nickel), then everyone switched to steel because it was cheap, strong, and easy to work with. Now we're moving back to CUNI due to corrosion problems.

If you've ever noticed that you've got green brake fluid when you do a flush, you've most likely got copper-nickel tubing. The copper leaches into the brake fluid over time and turns it green.

A short history of brake line material. Turns out that the original material for brake lines was CUNI (copper nickel), then everyone switched to steel because it was cheap, strong, and easy to work with. Now we're moving back to CUNI due to corrosion problems.

If you've ever noticed that you've got green brake fluid when you do a flush, you've most likely got copper-nickel tubing. The copper leaches into the brake fluid over time and turns it green.

Thanks! Nice Lesson!

What do you do with the newer ones you pull off from the scrap yard? Sell em'? I think if I ever have to replace another one...I'll just go with the line from Advance Auto (or anyone else - as I'm sure they're sold everywhere) and bend the new one in place...save the trip to the scrap yard (which can be fun I'll admit)! :D

Well, as I said the two 2000 Explorer sports had all coated brake lines except the rear line. So, I grab the coated ones from the scrap yard for next to nothing and put them on the 2 trucks to complete the package of coated brakelines.. my way of setting it and forgetting it. Until the fittings rot I suppose.

On the 97 I have, I replaced all the brake lines. I bought a roll of 3/16 brake line or whatever it was and I even used the old fittings (how's that for frugal) anyway, I keep the truck undercoated and it's basically a backup/field truck but I'm thinking they will rot out really fast especially if I didn't keep them greasy.

Well, as I said the two 2000 Explorer sports had all coated brake lines except the rear line. So, I grab the coated ones from the scrap yard for next to nothing and put them on the 2 trucks to complete the package of coated brakelines.. my way of setting it and forgetting it. Until the fittings rot I suppose.

On the 97 I have, I replaced all the brake lines. I bought a roll of 3/16 brake line or whatever it was and I even used the old fittings (how's that for frugal) anyway, I keep the truck undercoated and it's basically a backup/field truck but I'm thinking they will rot out really fast especially if I didn't keep them greasy.

I hear ya...I'm just as frugal as you! Owned the 1999 Explorer since the day I bought it new and I'll probably keep it going until the repairs exceed my capabilities. Every month with the Explorer is another month I'm not making a car payment! ;)

I've owned my 2011 since it was new too and will probably hold onto that just as long...and in 5-10 years, I'm sure I'll make plenty of visits here on that model's repairs!

It would be nice to go down south and buy some clean Explorers from this 2nd generation to have as spares...I like them and they're not too difficult to work on...especially with this website.

the clips need to be tight against the lines. any movement of the lines due to normal road vibrations will wear a hole in the lines.
place a piece of tape or thin rubber around the line if you want, but the lines must not be allowed to vibrate in the clips.

Perry

The ends where the nuts are sieze up. You can't win :mad:

Back