'04 Ex. Caused "Breaking Point" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 Ex. Caused "Breaking Point"

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Unresolved P0054 "HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Pos 2" has driven us to this, today......

new_mu10.jpg

new_mu11.jpg

new_mu12.jpg

new_mu13.jpg

Good old EEC-IV, simpler electronics, less finicky ABS, workhorse 5.0L HO with 5-speed, 161,000 miles, original paint, near immaculate appearance, acceptable gray leather, very little modified underhood, tracks straight as an arrow, good A/C, everything checked works!

A step backwards in time/technology, 1994 GT, my wife balked, I had to force the issue.... $2400. imp

Love it! Great price for it too! I've always wanted a 94/95 5.0 myself.

Love it! Great price for it too! I've always wanted a 94/95 5.0 myself.
@boominXplorer
Hey, Thanks! A little more: my wife's intuition prevails! Always!! Savor a few more pics, please? This thing below was dangling under the battery, terminal lug not connected to anything, other lead goes through the firewall. First thought was WTH is this? Gas-filled, high-intensity discharge lamp, for underhood emergencies? Anyone know? I think I got it, finally.

blue_m10.jpg

The old geezer showing the Mustang, taking out possessions, dropped a PENNY in the cigar lighter socket. Asked him were there any sparks? Nah, missed the center connection. BS, got home, power seat dead, fuse blown. No fuses of old vintage available, I stuck one for '04 Explorer in, seat works.
blue_m11.jpg

Both original battery terminals gone, short pigtails connected to old cables using some kind of big crimp connectors. But, WTH do you make of the fat, black, ground cable added from battery to support strut? Found another on passenger side, connected between fender and Throttle Body!
blue_m14.jpg

Didn't give this much thought when looking at the car; the guy was kind of antsy, raised eyebrows when I pulled oil dipstick, looked, smelled. So, I moved kinda fast. Figured this was some kind of cold-air replacement for original air filter. Also, Mass Air Sensor housing looks like aftermarket (or is it "afterbirth")? A K&N hangs inside the fender well, have to tear that apart to even inspect it! GONE, soon!
blue_m12.jpg

This funky baby K&N looks like it replaces a hose which likely connected to inlet duct somewhere. Hope PCV valve is still back there, not plugged!
blue_m15.jpg

Lastly, I totally missed this when viewing the car: smog pump not driven, output hose gone, inlet to cylinder heads bypassed to the exhaust behind cats. Originally, at idle a solenoid valve directed smog air to exhaust, off-idle to engine. Have not found those solenoids, (yet). Thanks fer sticken with me this far! imp
blue_m13.jpg

Back