Spark problem install problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark problem install problem

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: Son is changing out the plugs on his '10 4.0l v6 engine. Had 4 of the plugs out and new ones installed. He got the 5th one out, cleaned up the head threads but for the life of him he cant get the new one installed. The new one will simply not start into the head threads. Neither will the old one he removed (OEM Autolite 5143) screw in. He tried a plug thread chaser but it won't "gently" start. He's ground down the threads of one of the old plugs and get get it threaded into the plug hole but it stops and he's real leery of cranking down on it.

He's currently got a piece of hose over a new plug insulator hoping to get his alignment just right but is not having any luck.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fellows: Son is changing out the plugs on his '10 4.0l v6 engine. Had 4 of the plugs out and new ones installed. He got the 5th one out, cleaned up the head threads but for the life of him he cant get the new one installed. The new one will simply not start into the head threads. Neither will the old one he removed (OEM Autolite 5143) screw in. He tried a plug thread chaser but it won't "gently" start. He's ground down the threads of one of the old plugs and get get it threaded into the plug hole but it stops and he's real leery of cranking down on it.

He's currently got a piece of hose over a new plug insulator hoping to get his alignment just right but is not having any luck.

Any ideas?
I always run anything backwards until it drops into the start of the threads then go forward. (screws/bolts/plugs)
#5 front drivers side seemed pretty easy. maybe it's a repaired thread???

Thanks> He sent me a picture of the problem hole. Any idea what the silver thing is?

thumbnail_img_35541.jpg

Here is a picture with the "silver thing" circled in RED

Inkedthumbnail_img_35541_LI.jpg

Silver Thing almost looks like a repaired head.

Any closer pictures?

He has it cross threaded. Take it to a shop, or have someone with experienced with a tap come over and fix it before you have to install a helicoil.

He has what cross threaded? The plug is out of the head.

Silver Thing almost looks like a repaired head.

Any closer pictures?

He bought the S/T new in '10. This is the 1st time the plugs have EVER been changed. I'm "helping" him long distance as he's USMC at Ft. Gordon, Ga. and I'm in Texas...typical gee Dad now what.

I don't see that "silver thing" in this picture and asked him why I'm not seeing it.

In the morning he will put a magnet on the "silver thing"...

I'm getting a sneaky feeling that the "silver thing" is a "production" head saving plug insert which has partially unscrewed but its not showing up in this 2nd picture. As I mentioned the plugs on this S/T have NEVER been changed (90k on the meter). Im thinking Ford "fixed" this head during production but don't have any thing to base that thought on.

Regardless I don't know why he can NOT get the new plug installed even if the "silver thing" is an insert that has "unscrewed". I would think he could still get a new plug installed into the "silver thing".

Thanks fellows for any thoughts. The kid's a good lad but as I tell him he should of been spending more time with Dad while I was working on our cars when he was in his teens instead of chasing....girls. ;). Although he did do alot more stuff with me ie auto repair, building, yard work, etc then most in his generation. I give him alot of credit for doing maintenance on vehicles that most people would take to a shop...if they did that.

Bare hole.jpg

Like stated it’s possible he cross threaded the plug when he first tried to install it. If a thread chaser won’t easily go through, it’s almost certainly not going in square.

Im thinking Ford "fixed" this head during production but don't have any thing to base that thought on.

Very doubtful Ford repaired the head during production. They would have scrapped something like that because of liability issues.

From your second picture it does look like the first thread is kind of rounded....

We can get through this.

P.S.

Be sure to thank your son from us for his service to this country. Thank you as well.

Try a thread chaser. It’s helped me before. Cheap too.

Thank your son for his service to our country and our freedom. Thank you too for your support.

Try a thread chaser. It’s helped me before. Cheap too.

Thank your son for his service to our country and our freedom. Thank you too for your support.
He tried a thread chaser. It won’t go in easily.

The “silver thing” is probably just where the head was machined. I agree with Shucker, they would toss a casting that wouldn’t thread.

Fellows: The latest report I have from him is that 1) the silver ring I was seeing in the picture is light reflection off something. 2) he has determined that the first few thread are damaged 3) he has ordered a "reverse insertable thread chaser and should receive it Thursday. I watched a couple U-tube vids and this tool appears to be the "ideal" repair tool for his situation.

This will teach the invaluable lesson of using the piece of tubing to start them. I never start plugs with a socket, if I can help it. (Some motors make this impossible)

Fellows: The latest report I have from him is that 1) the silver ring I was seeing in the picture is light reflection off something. 2) he has determined that the first few thread are damaged 3) he has ordered a "reverse insertable thread chaser and should receive it Thursday. I watched a couple U-tube vids and this tool appears to be the "ideal" repair tool for his situation.

Please keep us posted?

Again Sir.

Thanks to you and your son for your support of our nation and way of life!

Happy and Safe New Years!

He has it cross threaded. Take it to a shop, or have someone with experienced with a tap come over and fix it before you have to install a helicoil.
@Tech By Trade
In a case like this, how does a heli-coil seal combustion pressure? imp

@Tech By Trade
In a case like this, how does a heli-coil seal combustion pressure? imp
I have only ever used them on small engines myself, but basically you drill out the threads and tap the hole with the tool provided. Then you thread the helicoil and there is an expander tool that crushes the end holding it in place. Kind of a threaded sleeve. Ford used something similar on their tritons that shot spark plugs through the hoods instead of replacing heads.

This will teach the invaluable lesson of using the piece of tubing to start them. I never start plugs with a socket, if I can help it. (Some motors make this impossible)

Mbrooks420... Ah grasshopper.... Before he started this project I mentioned that Daddy uses a pieces of snuggly fitting rubber hose to get spark plugs started. Apparently that "recommendation" was lost in our phone conversation.....

When he contacted me about his current problem he mentioned that he a purchased the correct size, specific use spark plug socket.......things when down hill from there.

Perhaps some day his sons will "listen" to their father about life issues....;)

I'm hopefull that the tool he has ordered will work for him and that he gains a lifelong education.....

Thanks Fellows for your input and support.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps some day his sons will "listen" to their father about life issues...

From my favorite comedian George Carlin:

"When I was 17 my dad was one of the dumbest people I had even met. When I turned 21 I was amazed what he had learned in 5 years...."

Back