• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer won’t start with key

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I have changed starter, Brand new positive and negative motor craft battery cables, and new ignition switch. Lights will go on and off but start key turn does nothing. Can jump the car from under the hood to start it at the starter relay just fine.

Ignition switch was zip tied together as the plug clips where broken but i put a new one and rezip tied.

At my wits end lol.
9B5B8848-7F6A-4E5A-9615-E407A34BD224.jpeg
8CA771DD-1B6A-41A8-A66A-AA81722952A5.jpeg
D9FD2334-0B55-453E-BDB6-56D1FD68BE7E.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a small terminal on the starter relay. It may be marked 'S', it should have a Red/Light Blue wire on it. Turning the key to 'Start', with the transmission in park or neutral is supposed to apply +12V to this terminal.

You can test this with a voltmeter, or you could just jump +12V to it.

Voltmeter Test
Check for +12V on that terminal with the key in START. If you get +12V, the problem is the starter relay itself or the wiring to the starter. If you do NOT get +12V, your problem is the going to be upstream, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, something like that.

Jump Test
Apply +12V to that terminal, doesn't matter what the key or transmission is set to, but for safety, make sure it's in park or neutral because you are bypassing that safety switch. If it does not crank, the problem is the starter relay itself or the wiring to the starter. If it does crank, your problem is the going to be upstream, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, something like that.

There's an oddity, it's rare but it's worth mentioning. The starter relay, the metal mounting must be well grounded for it to work. It is possible through some fluke that the fender isn't grounded very well.

I am giving you the wiring diagram for this section, it may help.

BUT... your profile says you have a '99 and everything I have written is for the earlier generation, so the colors may not be right, there may be something I don't know about. If you have anti-theft, that is another complication. Well, perhaps this will lead you in the right direction anyway. Good Luck!

1587385533848.png

There is a small terminal on the starter relay. It may be marked 'S', it should have a Red/Light Blue wire on it. Turning the key to 'Start', with the transmission in park or neutral is supposed to apply +12V to this terminal.

You can test this with a voltmeter, or you could just jump +12V to it.

Voltmeter Test
Check for +12V on that terminal with the key in START. If you get +12V, the problem is the starter relay itself or the wiring to the starter. If you do NOT get +12V, your problem is the going to be upstream, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, something like that.

Jump Test
Apply +12V to that terminal, doesn't matter what the key or transmission is set to, but for safety, make sure it's in park or neutral because you are bypassing that safety switch. If it does not crank, the problem is the starter relay itself or the wiring to the starter. If it does crank, your problem is the going to be upstream, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, something like that.

There's an oddity, it's rare but it's worth mentioning. The starter relay, the metal mounting must be well grounded for it to work. It is possible through some fluke that the fender isn't grounded very well.

I am giving you the wiring diagram for this section, it may help.

BUT... your profile says you have a '99 and everything I have written is for the earlier generation, so the colors may not be right, there may be something I don't know about. If you have anti-theft, that is another complication. Well, perhaps this will lead you in the right direction anyway. Good Luck!

View attachment 315021

He is working on a first gen so your diagram is perfectly valid.

I think you have a bad starter relay.

Another issue could be (less likely) that the shifter cable is not adjusted properly and not putting the shifter arm on the transmission in the right spot to engage the PNPS. This is adjusted in the column shifter.

Did you try to start in neutral?

He is working on a first gen so your diagram is perfectly valid.

I think you have a bad starter relay.

Another issue could be (less likely) that the shifter cable is not adjusted properly and not putting the shifter arm on the transmission in the right spot to engage the PNPS. This is adjusted in the column shifter.

Did you try to start in neutral?

Oh starter relay is brand new motor craft too. I didn’t not try in neutral I am as soon as I get home. Where is the neutral safety switch I forgot about that

Tried to start in neutral no dice. Started raining immediately after so I haven’t got a chance to go through with my volt meter yet.

my shift indicator looks spot on I’ve never had issues with that in the first gen but that doesn’t mean anything

Attachments

• A74DB73E-A3EB-49AA-AB10-C552D93AF520.jpeg
    A74DB73E-A3EB-49AA-AB10-C552D93AF520.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 69

Back