Removing running boards

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD
ive got an 02 ex with the factory/stock running boards on it. i really dont like the minivan look it has with those bulky boards on it. so im considering removing them but i dont know if they will leave holes in the molding below the doors.

any1 have answers or pictures? (i am ok with seeing a clear veiw of the frame below, cause i happen to like that look)

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed mine last week the truck looks a lot better without them. I'll take a couple of pics if and post them on here tomorrow if you want but its 10 bolts each on each running board. They haven't been taken off since the truck was manufactured so it was one big pain in the ass to loosen the bolts. It just left 6 studs on the bottom of the truck but i just screwed the bolts back on there because I dont think the studs are suppose to come out.

alright. yeah. pics of the studs close up and other pics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you alot

These are my running boards I dont know if yours are different
DSC04592.jpg

These are the studs that are bolted to the body of the truck there are six total lined along it I just put the bolts back on it
DSC04589.jpg

This is another four bolts total lined along the running boards that bolt up further up into the body they were the biggest pain to remove and just kept those bolts in a bag and left them with my running boards because there is no point in putting them back in
DSC04591.jpg

Hope this helps if your running boards are different it might be a different setup underneath

Hey xTOM153x,

Would you mind posting a picture of the side of your X with the running boards off? Just so I can see how it looks. Thanks!

Thank you. i just got done takin them off. i love the side look of the ex with them off. i sorta reminds me of an escape(bad) but it looks more rugged/off road without them

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

I've thought about removing mine but they help the little people get in (see: wife & kid).

Look for Sport bars. I have an XLT Sport, and it has good looking "nerf bar" type ones. I love 'em, but yeah, the minivan ones are ugly....

I removed mine last week the truck looks a lot better without them. I'll take a couple of pics if and post them on here tomorrow if you want but its 10 bolts each on each running board. They haven't been taken off since the truck was manufactured so it was one big pain in the ass to loosen the bolts. It just left 6 studs on the bottom of the truck but i just screwed the bolts back on there because I dont think the studs are suppose to come out.
What did you use to loosen the nuts?

Back