• Register Today It's free!

Another 4x4 engagement thread

Stubborn Dutchm

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
Vehicle is a '96 EB w/ 135K on the speedo. Before finding all the threads about cleaning the shift motor I replaced it myself about two years ago. I've read thru several pages of threads but couldn't readlily identify what to try next.

Current situation is this. Most of the time when I turn the switch to 4 auto or 4-low the lights come on properly. Usually I can hear the shift motor engage/clunk when moving the switch to 4-low. Once in a while the lights blink but I never thought to count the flashes. However the front axle never engages. Sometimes while driving w/ 4 auto selected, the lights start to blink then go out completely, until the ignition is shut off and restarted.

Once last winter I got stuck in a snow covered field on our family farm. 4-low engaged but at first no front wheel engagement. After numerous attempts at moving forward then rearward there was a loud clunk (not the shift motor engaging) and all of a sudden I had front wheel traction.

Any suggestions on where to start my troubleshooting based upon the above? I've tried sitting still and repeatedly cycling between 4-auto and 4-low hoping that might clean off the contacts inside the shift motor housing. Most of the time the clunk going into/out of 4-low is evident, but not always.

BTW: I've had this Explorer for a little over three years and only put about 12K miles on it. I never activated 4wd during the first year and a half. Could the front axle disconnect be gummed up or something?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first suggestion would be the vacuum disconnect on the front axle. Either the vacuum isn't strong enough, or the connecting part is sticking (which is what thunked when it finally engaged in the field)

Thanks. I was kinda hoping it was the vac. disconnect sticking due to lack of use (and possibly a cheaper repair). For the last several days, every time I start the car, I have been cycling the engagement switch. A couple days ago the front axle finally engaged and it has engaged the last few times I drove it. No problems with flashing 4wd lights either.

It's always nice when the vehicle is smart enough to fix itself. Now if it will just stay fixed!

I have the simlar problem... when i was going up hill and kinda wet grass... the rear wheel only spins and it should transfer it to front too cuz i was in 4wd auto oh its 96 xlt... and the steering wheel feel like it is clucking.. i am deaf by the way and i cannot hear what it sounds like when i turn on the 4wd auto but when i was driving in the rain. and stop.. then i was testing the explorer... i stepped the gas hard and rear tire spins... so i know it should not spin when i am in auto 4wd mode.. and it didnt spin but made a weird noise on the steering wheel i dont know if it is really normal or not. and sometime when i put in 4low... it sometime wont work.. sometime will work... what is this?

cllns96 said:
I have the simlar problem... when i was going up hill and kinda wet grass... the rear wheel only spins and it should transfer it to front too cuz i was in 4wd auto oh its 96 xlt... and the steering wheel feel like it is clucking.. i am deaf by the way and i cannot hear what it sounds like when i turn on the 4wd auto but when i was driving in the rain. and stop.. then i was testing the explorer... i stepped the gas hard and rear tire spins... so i know it should not spin when i am in auto 4wd mode.. and it didnt spin but made a weird noise on the steering wheel i dont know if it is really normal or not. and sometime when i put in 4low... it sometime wont work.. sometime will work... what is this?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147787

Back