Sinjin

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Avondale(Phoenix), Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
"RETIRED" 1997 Sport
Well finaly got it all installed. Thank god its so light that I can take it on and off whenever I want to. Since my Safari rack is now off I had to relocate the Hella's by the grill. Decided to just do away with the front bumper entirely and put a high lift there instead.
Here are some pics:
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Next comes the spare tire carrier, onboard air and shower system and I'l be ready to take my trip across the U.S.!

[Edited by Sinjin on 01-15-2001 at 02:48 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rod, I was wondering how long the bed is ? Being one of those 6'3" Would it be long enough to strech out or would I have to curl up? And it does look good on your truck (does it float just in case?).

Dennis,

Well I did the get the "small" model, I'm 5'10 and its plenty of room, Kel and I can totally stretch out no problem. But I remember you being tall, so I doubt the "small" would be totally comfortable for you and the wife. The dimensions are small= 4'3"x6'9" and the large= 5'3"x7'1". There is a medium size but I cant recall what the size on that one is.
.....oh yaa not only does it act as a bed also works as a floatation device. ;)

Rod, Thanks for the info i will have to look into the longer one. Do they come in different color shell or can it be painted to match my truck?

Dennis,
No problem, yes they are totally fiberglass, and can be painted. Like it is it's sorta off-white, I plan on painting mine to match exactly.

Cool, One more question. Why didn't you mount your lights to the rail on top of the camper, and you could light up the camp site at the same time?

Rod,

Does the tent mount to the factory rack? Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost?

Thanks.

Dennis,

That was my plan all along, but after thinking about it, it would work, but..........everytime I lifted up the tent I would have to unplug the lights or have extra wire so the tent can raise up. It wouldnt look as clean. But I'm still working on it, cause that would be cool to set up camp, open up the tent and have the lights shine down on EVERYTHING.

Alec,
It's mounted on the factory rails, but on a Yakima rack.
All I can say about the total cost was around 1k. ;)

Sinjin,

Looks sweet!

Thanks for the pics. It looks good folded down too. So are you going to leave your bumper like that or are you going to add some pipe on the front like Ricks? I think without a front bumper it looks alot bigger and tougher. One more thing, where do you store the ladder, inside the tent?

Brian,
Yaa the ladder stores inside the tent while closed, along with the pillows, comforter, and heater.
I think I'm going to leave the bumper as is for now, until I can get a custom one built. I think it looks tougher also, the one thing I really like with the bumper off is it increases the approach angle greatly.

[Edited by Sinjin on 01-15-2001 at 09:08 PM]

Looks great Rod! I am thinking about going with the Over Camp. I like the fact that that you can have 2 of the larger tent up on the truck at once. I am going to send you an e-mail, I've got something that is proving to be rather big and I think you might be interested!

Looks good Rod!

Thanks Guys.
NB,
Got your email, I'm going to look at the 'ole calender and see what I can come up with, thanks for thinking of me, and I'll get back to you soon.

What happened to the days when you just sleep on the ground, or in the front seat. j/k i would love to have one, motels cost to much. without the front bumper does make it look tougher.

Sleeping on the ground or in the car was fine and dandy for me but now with my girlfriend she requires a little more comfort ;). We take quite a few roadtrips, this will definetly help out when we need a few hours of sleep, especially when a motel is not available, and would not like to set up a tent. Two minutes it's up and we are in dreamland. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rod Thats looks great man. I cant wait to see it used at the slabs. I just ordered a tent that converts my rear to a tent. Basically I leave the gat up and the tent is mounted to that and goes to the ground. Pretty neat! I will have pictures as soon as I get it in two days to see how well it is going to work out. I will have it at the slab run. looks great. Oh! By the way if any of you want to check out the website that I bought my tent from it is: http://www.campmor.com

Back