so egg smell is catalytic converts right>? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

so egg smell is catalytic converts right>?

T

ThePhoenix

my new CAI lets me romp on the gas...and now when I get it going...smells like eggs

do I need new cats...or will a nice bang with a BFH do the trick for a while?:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Egg smell is usually the CC. Remember though, CC's dont fail by themselves, something else is causing them to fail. Fix that problem, then replace the CC.

Sounds like the cc. I thought they just get clogged up over time kinda like a fuel filter would.

so did I...and I heard banging them sharply with a big F-ing hammer would shake a little loose

I am really hoping to make it till march, when my bonus gets here and maybe a tax refunds...I am thinking about the new ford edge...

When the cats smell like eggs its time to change. There really is not way around it. You should be throwing a Check engine light as well.

Egg smell is usually the CC. Remember though, CC's dont fail by themselves, something else is causing them to fail. Fix that problem, then replace the CC.

I agree that they normally don't just start smelling like eggs and it most likely is caused by a lean mixture if I correct on my emissions. The cat is just trying to convert nox to something none toxic. So most likely there is another issue that is going on

From what I have heard cats should last the entire life of the car. However, if your car has 200,000km on it, and still has the original cats, it could just be from wear and tear, but make sure of it before you change it. I have heard of people changing the cats and having to do it again in 10,000km because of running lean/rich, etc.

I have an egg smell sometimes, but the cc's have been removed?

Galil, chances are before you remvoed the cats, some of the pieces broke off and are now in your muffler. They are fine in there, but they might be what is causing the smell.

well I bought it like that. thx for the info!

Back