• Register Today It's free!

front brake issue. please help!

tybogit

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer xlt 4.0
hey all! I am having trouble with my front driver side brake. It is hanging up, causing my pad to be in constant contact with my Rotor. If you have any thoughts or questions on how I might go about greasing the push pins? It would be greatly appreciated because I really don't have the cash right now to go out and buy a new caliper XD

Yours Truely,
Tyler/TyBo The Great/TyBogIt :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually three causes. 1. Metal slippers that the pads ride on are dirty or corroded., 2. Dirty or stuck guide pins., 3. Stuck calipers, which means either rebuilding yourself or replace it.

In any of these, you'll need to disassemble to find the cause. Remove the two bolts and lift off the calipers and inspect the slippers and slider pins. See if you can push the piston back into the caliper bore. Use C-clamp or pads spreader tool. Also put a little caliper grease on the pins and the edge of the ears of the brake pads where it contacts the slippers. The slippers clips onto mounting bracket.

The pins can be pulled straight out. After cleaning and greasing push it back in and don't forget to put the dust boot back over the end of the pin so water doesn't get in and causes corrosion.

Usually three causes. 1. Metal slippers that the pads ride on are dirty or corroded., 2. Dirty or stuck guide pins., 3. Stuck calipers, which means either rebuilding yourself or replace it.

In any of these, you'll need to disassemble to find the cause. Remove the two bolts and lift off the calipers and inspect the slippers and slider pins. See if you can push the piston back into the caliper bore. Use C-clamp or pads spreader tool. Also put a little caliper grease on the pins and the edge of the ears of the brake pads where it contacts the slippers. The slippers clips onto mounting bracket.

The pins can be pulled straight out. After cleaning and greasing push it back in and don't forget to put the dust boot back over the end of the pin so water doesn't get in and causes corrosion.

Thank you, I will try this! Any other tips or tricks from anyone and everyone is welcome. I do my own work on my trucks, but at the same time I am still learning. Always willing to do research and learn about various topics. Thank you kindly for all of your help.

Tyler/TyBo/TyBogIt

Item 1. in xlT03's response, did you put new pads on recently? If so, did you use the "slippers" for the pads that came with them? I've seen them too big, not allowing the pad to move.

If you haven't done anything to your brakes, then you either have a sticking piston or the sliders need greased.

Excellent instructions above. Use specific hi temp brake caliper grease. A $1.50 counter pack should be adequate for both sides.

This is what happens when regular anti seize or chassis grease is used. Gummy and binding caliper slide pins that causes sticking.

9c105a60-b6c3-43b9-be8b-f521748ef321.jpg
DSC03569.jpg

Excellent instructions above. Use specific hi temp brake caliper grease. A $1.50 counter pack should be adequate for both sides.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just to add to this ^^^^above. They also sell "hi temp brake caliper grease" (green colored grease) in large plastic bottles that sell for around $11 +tax. The lid of the bottle has a brush applicator attached to it for easier application of the grease.

I haven't changed my brakes recently. It has to be the caliper. Whether is a piston or pin idk. My tools were stolen. I haven't been able to go to a buddy's house yet..

*to get in there to look

I haven't changed my brakes recently. It has to be the caliper. Whether is a piston or pin idk. My tools were stolen. I haven't been able to go to a buddy's house yet..

Also, the caliper pins come all the way out of those rubber boots as seen in Swshawaii's" picture. You just have to use your thumb and forefinger and press them out. Take a visual note of how the pins seat inside of the rubber boots for re-installation purposes. They pop right back in after you cleaned them up and applied some new grease. Make sure to get some grease down inside the boot, because if you apply it straight to the shaft of the pin itself, it tends to get rubbed off as you slide the pin back inside the rubber boot covering. Check the rubber boots for cracks or dry rot. Change them for new ones if you see this.

Thanks for all of the responses. The issue has been fixed.. it was actually the brake pad on the front drivers side on the inside. My rotor was toast! Haha. Everything is fixed now tho. Thank you all!

Back