00 Explorer - 01 Sport Brake Component Compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 Explorer - 01 Sport Brake Component Compatibility

DigitalNY

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer, 2001 Sport
Okay, I'd originally intended on swapping the engine from an 01 Sport to an 00 Explorer XLS but that's not going to happen for several reasons that I don't need to elaborate on.

The 01 Sport is going to be the vehicle I'm rehabbing and getting ready to put on the road. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible to get it in shape so I'm taking what I can from the 00 Explorer. The first thing on my list was brakes.

I bought front and rear pads, went about changing them out and found that the passenger's front rotor had separated at the vent vanes. I thought "no problem, I'll yank one from the 00". I didn't even realize until after I already had it on and the caliper / caliper bracket installed that the 00 has smaller rotors than the sport. This obviously isn't acceptable as the pads overhang the outside edge of the rotor.

I know I'd have to do both sides but will swapping the caliper brackets / calipers from the 00 onto the sport put the pads at the correct spacing to match the smaller rotor?

the calipers/brackets are identical, the steering knuckles are different.
the knuckles differ where the brake bracket holes are, 12" rotor systems push the holes out about 3/8" farther than the 11.25" systems.
easy fix, get bigger rotors.

Back